Identification: What kind of apple tree do I have?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by CarrieZ, Aug 2, 2010.

1. CarrieZ

CarrieZ Member

Hello,

I recently moved and I have an apple tree in my yard. I would like to know what kind of apples I have. If anyone can help I would be very greatful.

Attached Files:

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Identification of apple varieties is very difficult. It may be possible for someone to make a good guess based on the most commonly planted varieties (assuming you have one of those.) But there are many varieties and it's not usually that easy. Experts would need to examine several fruit from the tree (usually at least 5 requested) and they usually want to see a cross cut of the fruit. There will be apple experts at the UBC Apple Festival. If you can bring in some fruit, you would have a good chance for ID. The event will be held Oct. 16-17 this year.
    http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/events/applefest.php

3. CarrieZ

CarrieZ Member

Thank you for the info. We'll make sure to bring our apples there.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Since growth is uneven you may have a multi-graft tree, in which case each main branch may consist of a different variety. Such specimens are offered regularly down here, often as "combo" trees.