Pruning a Sago Palm (Cycas revoluta)

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by lebenny, Jul 29, 2010.

1. lebenny

lebenny Member

Hello to anyone who can help!

I have a Sago Palm (Cycas revoluta) and I think it's been over-watered because all of the fronds have turned yellow with the exception of one, the newest. In the time I have had the plant it sprouted new fronds that never came to term because it went too long without being watered. At that time I watered it extensively and a few weeks later the fronds started turning yellow. I cut those off but then others started to turn. I stopped watering it and put it by the window. It then sprouted 1 new frond, which is the only one that is currently not yellow, and seemed to be doing fine until the other fronds all turned yellow.

My question now is: can I prune ALL the yellow/brown fronds (leaving the one green frond) or will this harm the plant? I've read conflicting information from various online sources. I just need a clean answer on how to revive my poor overly-loved Sago!

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Best cure is to plant it in the ground. Failing that only water
    only when the soil is dry to the depth of your first knuckle.
    Since they survive Texas' Summers on rainfall alone they're
    obliviously quite drought tolerant.

3. lebenny

lebenny Member

Thank you for the watering advice! Unfortunately it will be impossible for me to plant it in the ground as I live in an apartment...