Washington: EZ Q: What are these bugs?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by drcarl, Jul 20, 2010.

1. drcarl

drcarl Active Member

Greetings! Here's an easy question. What are these bugs (and should I care?)

Teeeeny tiny black bugs on my pumpkin blossom.

They seem to be quite active crawling all over the blossom.

Just want to know if they are good guys or bad guys.

Photo attached.

Thanks in advance,

Dr Carl

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Thrips?
    Try this site:
    http://bugguide.net

Have you noticed any damage to your plants, and how long have these visitors been present?

3. drcarl

drcarl Active Member

(sorry for the delayed reply - and thank you for yours)

I am not sure how long they have been here. As for the plant's condition, I have attached more photos. One long shot shows the general condition.

I am always on the hunt for slugs for manual harvesting, and to feed with Sluggo. I am on the watch for powdery mildew, I hope that a small patch on a leaf shot is simply residue of my miracle treatment spray [Tiny measured amounts in mostly water - TKO Orange, vinegar, colloidal silver, Epsom salts, baking soda, Murphy's oil]

One other shot shows one the teeny back guests now on my cucumber blossom. I only found one of them and noticed that they have pointy ends.

Another shot or two show a plethora of roundish bugs that have manifested on the original pumpkin plant. Who are THESE new guys?

Attached Files:

4. drcarl

drcarl Active Member

The plant is getting yellower. Some leaves go through a yellow stage then develop dead brown tips. I feed it with a little of Dr Earth's 3-3-3 liquid fertilizer every 2 weeks

Attached Files:

5. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

Ah now in the first pic they looked like Thrips (Thunder Flies-Thysanoptera), but in a later pic I see black aphids!

6. drcarl

drcarl Active Member

Yes, the bugs in the first pics were different and had pointed ends fore and aft. The later pics show rounder-ended bugs. Thanks for the ID, I will soak them with my special solution that kills the bugs and feeds the plant both through an emulsification process. Thanks again.

7. GreenLarry

hmm,care to share?

8. drcarl

drcarl Active Member

Share? Sure...

At first I used the lighter "Mist" concentration. I have since upped it to the "Plant Spray" mix.

Here's my recipe:

Plant Spray
    (PER GALLON OF WATER)
    2 Tablespoons of TKO
    1 Tablespoon. of White Vinegar
    1 Tablespoon of Epson Salts
    Keeps the bugs at bay. It also acts as a fertilizer for the plant.

1 gal = 128 oz...therefore, one quarter recipe:

1 qt = 32 oz water
    1.5 t TKO Orange
    .75 t white vinegar
    .75 t Epsom salts
    and, I also add...
    1/2 t baking soda
    4 drops Murphy's oil (soap)
    15-20 drops colloidal silver

Since I am 100% organic inside and out, I appreciate natural products like this.

Here's the company info TKO Orange
    Here is where I buy mine: Sacred Medicine Sancturary

I think it's too early to know if this combo I put together works or not. It seems that I have very few bugs, generally. The simple "Mist" spray completely saved a neighbor's garden according to her. My roses are still plagued with blackspot.

I should probably apply it more often. Perhaps right now is a good time! lol

Hope that helps.

drcarl

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  9. GreenLarry

But what on earth is TKO? The link to the site doesnt explain it!
    My recipe against aphids is much simpler
    teaspoon of cooking oil
    spot of washing up liquid(washing up=doing the dishes)
    pint of water
    the oil blocks the spiracles, the dish liquid is a weting agent.
    To combat mildew too add a teaspoon of baking powder

10. drcarl

drcarl Active Member

UPDATE, answers and a new question...

Larry, click on the TKO Orange link (previous post, above), then the "Home" button in the left column. You'll see this and more:

Orange TKO is a citrus cleaner/degreaser made from the peel of the orange. It is an emulsifier which contains no synthetic chemicals, petroleum distillates, or detergents. It is also 100% environmentally friendly, biodegradable, and non-toxic. Orange TKO comes as a concentrate which can be diluted with water to handle the toughest industrial cleaning problems, but is safe enough to use in the home, around children and animals.​

The "Mist" formula is a very weak dilution and suitable for very delicate plants. I am using what I believe is the "Plants" dilution which is a little stronger. The active ingredient is limonene.

And, baking powder? Might you have meant to say baking soda?

I am attaching more pics and this update. I saw Thrips this morning and a few Black Aphids, so I sprayed again. Took some photos to show that the whole plant appears to be getting yelower, and some of the leaves turn brown and die starting with the tips of the leaves.

Is this normal pumpkin plant behavior? If not, what's up with this plant?

TIA, --drcarl

Attached Files:

11. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

As far as the yellowing, I wonder if it has anything to do with our cool summer? Cucumbers and pumpkins like heat.

12. drcarl

drcarl Active Member

Eric - could be. I have another post up about yellowing (and dying) cucumber leaves. That's also in the Cucurbit family...one responder feels that if it's just the lower leaves, it may be normal.

13. GreenLarry

Ah thats what we brits call it! ;)

14. drcarl

drcarl Active Member

HAH - Hey, Green....here in the US, in the kitchens, in baking, baking soda and baking powder are very different things.

From the first page of a search:

Both baking soda and baking powder are leavening agents, which means they are added to baked goods before cooking to produce carbon dioxide and cause them to 'rise'. Baking powder contains baking soda, but the two substances are used under different conditions.

Here is a link to the details if you are interested.

Be well

drcarl