Identification: Need to find out cherry tree type

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Finnguala, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Finnguala

Finnguala Member

My husband and I moved to a new house in Maple Ridge, and have a tree that is producing what i believe is a type of cherry, but it is unlike any type I have seen before. The fruit is about 60% the size of cherries sold in the grocery store, and is a paler colour of red. I have attached photos. They seem to be ripe, but I would like to know what they are exactly before I pick them
    thanks!

Attached Files:

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

These look like Montmorency sour cherries, which are a bit sour for eating fresh but make the best pies, pastries, etc. They are also good in jams and jellies.

3. Finnguala

Finnguala Member

Yes - i think that is what it must be as the flesh is yellow. Here is another photo, with a store bought cherry for comparison.
    Guess I better get out there and start pickin'!

Attached Files:

4. Natasha

Natasha Member

This is cherry exactly why I became a member. Your cherry tree is a sour cherry. Great for jams (freezer) and compote. We have that same kind in the garden for more than 25 years now and have had great harvests from it. We garden organically and have never had any problems with the cherries. However, this year something has attacked it and the cherries are just about inedible. They are rotting from the inside out and every brown spot has a tiny puncture. Can anybody tell me what that is?

Attached Files:

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Do you think it sounds like what Vitog is describing? See http://www.botanicalgarden.ubc.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=64025

If so, maybe you could comment in his posting, since this one started as a query about what type of cherry and that's been answered, but it looks like both of you are looking for answers about what's damaging your cherries and what to do about it.