Care of indoor Meyer Lemon Tree

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by maryannaham, May 11, 2010.

1. maryannaham

maryannaham Member

I was given a Meyer Lemon tree 6 months ago. I placed it direct sunlight, in a south facing room with large window. It is growing well with new leaf grow, flowers, and 3 lemons.
    Qestions: The leaves have a sap-like sticky substance on them, which drips to the floor. What is this substance? What should I do about it? How do I take care of the leaves?

Thank you,
    MaryAnna Ham

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The sticky substance is likely to be honeydew that has been excreted by a sap sucking insect such as aphid or scale. Check for their presence and treat with insecticidal soap or horticultural oil. Details for treatment can be found in past postings in the citrus forum.

3. maryannaham

maryannaham Member

Thank you very much for identifying the cause of the sap.

I did look for details for treatments on past postings but did not find any. If you would be more specific about treatment details, I would be very appreciative. Or, perhaps you could direct me to the specific past postings in the citrus forum that would give details about treatment.
    Thank you.
    MaryAnna Ham

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

5. maryannaham

maryannaham Member

Thank you so much for the information. I'm quite horrified to think I missed catching these bugs sooner.
    MaryAnna