Northern Sweden damage report

Discussion in 'Maples' started by zonebreaker, May 7, 2010.

1. zonebreaker

zonebreaker Active Member

Hi folks!
    Due to a abnormal wet autum and almost record low temperatures this winter my hope fore my Acers was small. Now the temperatures are around +10 C on the day and still -5 C at night,so no leaves yet. Atropurpureum severe damaged,Acer rubecens red flamingo severe damaged, Acer negundo "flamingo" 1 dm tip damage,acer negundo aureomarginatum same , acer negundo variegatum same, Acer griseum no damage,acer triflorum no damage,Tegmentosum no damage despite 1 meters shoots,shirasawanum aureum no damage,shirasawanum yasmin no damage,japonicum aconitifolium no damage,Small pseudoplatanus eskimo sunset dont now yet,bigger pseudoplatanus brilliantissimun no damage.acer palmatum dissectum unsure,acer palmatum osakazuki no damage. Ginnala no damage. siboldianum no damage.
    Overall not so bad.
    Right now i´m constructing a wind breaker and bigger elevated area for my maples with a small excavator, relly fun but it is really easy to overdo it....

2. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Great report André, it should be very useful to other gardeners in cold areas, keep posting as the season advances. Post a pic to see your garden now!

Gomero

3. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

I admire & respect your endurance & love of these great trees in the face of unfriendly forces.
    Keep up the great work.

4. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

I would have expected later leafing out after such atrocious weather conditions last winter. My own trees are only coming into leaf properly now (about a month late). This past winter we had lows of as much as -18C for the first time since I can remember (normally possibly up to -12 ish?) so hopefully your late leafing ones will decide to wake up for you

5. zonebreaker

Picture from today, i´m building a large elevated bed towards the "wall" and later a big windbreaker fence is coming up to protect my "darlings".
    Thanks for your kind words.

Attached Files:

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks more like major opencast mining engineering than gardening! Don't use that digger near any trees already planted, it'll damage the roots badly. And watch out for the soil compaction it causes, it may well be creating a hardpan that roots won't be able to get through in the future.

7. zonebreaker

No tree is harmed in this picture ;-) This is just the foundation for the planting area and it is all sand, soil will be added later
    . The digger is just 1.7 ton and makes less marks on the grass than a heavy loaded wheelbarrow.
    If you have a big garden and wan´t to make a change, you got to make it big change for it to be noticed.
    I´m afraid if i moved that amount of sand whith a showel i would have used up four of my backs already:-)