Identification: Can anyone tell me what this is???

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by graugeist, May 5, 2010.

1. graugeist

graugeist Member

This stuff is in our basement. The dark spot on the floor is water and red mud silt...it stays wet. There is a pic of some sheet rock with black mold on it. And then there are these very strange brownish orange fungus things....what are they? There is white mold growing on them. They grow out of the water attached to various surfaces, but no stems...like lichen does on a tree. They are crispy when you break them...unless they get wet or damp, if damp they are pliable, if wet they are squishy, soggy, and mushy. The unfinished part of our basement floor is covered by a layer of rugs and blankets???? The ventilation ducts are in the unfinshed part of the basement...which is very damp. My husband thinks it could be a septic leak.

Attached Files:

2. Corey

Corey Member

I think it is a jelly fungi. The identifying links have some of these in there. The jungle one is easy to use.

3. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Most people call it Peziza domiciliana.

It indicates the wood is rotting, and there is a constant source of moisture in the area.