UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest

Post New ThreadReply

Old March 24th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Contributor (30-99 posts + 20 days registered)

best everbearing raspberry

Hello,

What's the best everbearing raspberry for Vancouver. I'm looking for something problem free and TASTY to give me fruit before Tulameen var. starts making berries.

Thanks.
Old March 24th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Generous Contributor (500-999 posts)

Re: best everbearing raspberry

The best everbearing raspberry that I've found is Caroline. However, I don't know if it is earlier than Tulameen, since everbearers are bred for a good late crop. I cut off all of the canes on my everbearing plants after they finish producing in the Fall; so I don't get an early crop. Caroline has large, tasty berries and is very productive.
Old March 25th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

The Qualicum is a nice productive plant, especially if you cut last years crop at about 2". It suits our climate well, ergo the name. We get a very generous crop into late October.
The Tulameen is a better tasting and bigger berry but, we grow it as a one year crop and cut it down to the base each year. Although we have a bit acidic soil, try to add peat moss or sawdust to raise the acidc level.
Old March 25th, 2010, 06:26 PM
UBC Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research

I sent an email to Hugh Daubeny, former raspberry breeder (he's the one who developed 'Tulameen', among many other local cultivars) with Agriculture Canada (and now a UBC Friend of the Garden). Here's his response:

Quote:
The best "everbearing" raspberry for the Lower Mainland area is 'Autumn Bliss'. First, though, a more correct designation for such a raspberry is Autumn Fruiting or Primocane Fruiting. 'Autumn Bliss' fruits on the new canes with ripening in some years as early as the third week of August. There is the possibility of overlap with late ripening summer fruiting of such cultivars of 'Tulameen'. Canes are numerous of moderate height and farily erect. Fruits medium to large size, firm and have the best flavour of any of the other available primocane fruiting cultivars. Flavour is not rated as high as that of summer fruiting cultivars such as 'Tulameen', 'Chilliwack', 'Qualicum' and 'Malahat'. Fruiting will continue until the first light frosts of fall. It is recommended that the spent canes be cut to ground level during the dormant season. However, gardeners sometimes cut the canes back as far as fruiting has occured. The lower portions will produce early fruit in the summer but the quality is not nearly as good as that of the summer fruiting genotypes. The Plant Centre at the UBC Botanical Garden sells 'Autumn Bliss' plants in one gallon pots. Supplies are limited.

Daniel Mosquin
Research Manager
UBC Botanical Garden | BC Flora | John Davidson
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:12 PM
UBC Botanical Garden and Centre for Plant Research

And a follow-up, when I pointed out to Hugh that I think you were asking for something fruiting before 'Tulameen'. His response:

Quote:
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I do not recommend overwintering canes of 'Autumn Bliss' - or any other primocane fruiting cultivar but gardeners do it. 'Malahat' is earlier ripening than 'Tulameen' and is used for early fresh market here.
Old March 25th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Contributor (30-99 posts + 20 days registered)

Wow, that's a terrific answer Daniel. Many thanks.
Old October 10th, 2010, 09:32 AM

That is some great info -- and I thought maybe you'd like to see some photos of Caroline and Fall Gold, two late season varieties I grow.

Photos: Caroline and Fall Gold Raspberries
Old October 24th, 2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by englak View Post
Wow, that's a terrific answer Daniel. Many thanks.
Great recommendations here.I want to start growing Raspberries and now it seems that I found the info.
Would Tulameen and Autum Bliss work if planted now?
Anyone has done it? any tips please....
Also can anyone let me know where to get them? I wish to plant soon rather than spring time.Maybe someone here can chip in or if y are dividing yours maybe I can offer y some other plants? Not sure if this is the right forum for that? Thanks
Post New ThreadReply