UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Ornamental Cherries

Ornamental Cherries Growing, Propagation, Identification, Appreciation and more!

Post New ThreadReply

Old March 15th, 2010, 12:39 AM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

kanzan cherry tree after winter

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've posted a question about my tree. Well, i planted it about 7 months ago and so far it seems to be healthy with what appears to be new bud growth. I noticed that in vancouver the trees have blossomed already but here in hamilton we haven't gotten to that point yet. The temperature here has been above seasonal at 6 - 14 C so the soil has thawed, and just this weekend we received about 82 MM of rain. My question is, once the soil has finally thawed, how much water does a tree need? 82 mm is an awful lot of rain, i'm a bit worried but i've been told to just let nature take its course. Any opinions on this would be appreciated, i have little to know knowledge on gardening. What i do know is that the roots do not go dormat when the tree does, so maybe after winter the rain was the best thing for it.
Old March 15th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Ardent Plant Enthusiast (10000+ posts)

Re: kanzan cherry tree after winter

Cherry trees do require good drainage. To succeed your tree will need full sun, good drainage and even moisture. If you are not able to visually judge the moisture content of the soil during dry periods then poke around in it with your finger.
Old March 15th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

I appreciate the help ron and know you are one the most knowledgeable ones on the site, i'm wondering about trees after the winter though, since the ice has now melted what are a trees watering needs being the first spring thaw? Do you think the 82 mm of rain is more then enough? I think the soil is well draining which we used and there is also a sand mixture too. Thanks again for posting in my topic :)
Old March 15th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Ardent Plant Enthusiast (10000+ posts)

Hopefully you did not plant in a pit of different soil, including added sand surrounded by unmodified existing soil. This approach can result in suffocation of the new specimen on heavy soils under wet conditions - the planting pit acting as a sump, receiving water from the surrounding soil and collecting it beneath the tree.

Especially since you are in eastern North America it may be some time before irrigation is required this year. It depends on what state your tree is in, in terms of handling of the original root mass and planting hole back-fill.

Maybe next have a look at this state-of-the-art planting fact sheet:

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~linda%2...ct%20sheet.pdf
Post New ThreadReply