UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > How to Use the Forums

How to Use the Forums A resource forum of how-tos.
Only moderators can post to this forum. Questions? Post to Forum Feedback.

Post New ThreadReply

Old February 13th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival

How to Edit your Options (and why)

There's a lot here. I'm going write up my favourite time-saving option now, and I'll add to the posting now and then if other issues seem to cause confusion.

The is part of My Settings, on the left side of the toolbar, which I think is available after you've done three postings.
Click image for larger version

Name:	MySettings.gif
Views:	9
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	76322

Scroll down to Edit Options.

Name:	SettingsandOptions.gif
Views:	9
Size:	3.7 KB
ID:	76323

You will see sections on
Login & Privacy
Messaging & Notification
Thread Display Options
Date & Time Options
Miscellaneous Options
I'm writing here about Thread Display Options. It's worth reading through the options to see if there's something that might make things easier for you. These options apply to all threads.

In the Visible Post Elements section, you can set how much stuff you want displayed, which affects how long it takes for you to see a screen's-worth. With a slow connection, you might choose to untick this option:
  • Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)
Thread display mode is the one that can save you a lot of time if you frequent long threads with a lot of photos. The default (standard ) setting for displaying the postings in a thread is Linnear - Oldest First. If you choose
  • Linnear - Newest First
you will come in at the latest postings and can be reading them while all the older ones that you've probably already read carry on loading.

There are settings here for number of posts to display per page, and for setting the age of postings that are too old be of interest to you.

The above options pertain to what you see when you're in a thread. There is a thread display option at the bottom of Forum pages where you can set in what order the threads in that forum are displayed to you.

Name:	DisplayOptions.gif
Views:	8
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	76324
The default (usual) option is as displayed in the above picture, in descending order by Last Post Time. That means that the thread with the most recent posting gets displayed first, then the post before that, and so on. You can also change the order of the threads on the fly by clicking the headings on the bar above the thread titles.

Name:	SorterBarL.gif
Size:	1.9 KB
ID:	76325Click image for larger version

Name:	SorterBarR.gif
Size:	2.1 KB
ID:	76326
This can be useful if you're looking for a thread started by a particular user (Thread Starter) or want to see the threads listed alphabetically (Thread).

+*+*+
Wendy Cutler, Cherry Scout
Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival (vcbf.ca)

Last edited by wcutler; September 6th, 2011 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Removed comment re: right sidebar; clarified thread display
Post New ThreadReply