UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Forum Announcements and Feedback

Post New ThreadClosed Thread

Old February 6th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

Re: Forums Restructuring

Thanks Daniel and Eric. I have enjoyed belonging to this forum -mostly as a silent reader. I've learned much about cold weather gardening -something totally alien to me - and am full of admiration for those who have shared their immense knowledge and experience with us all. It is sad that the forums as we know them are ending but appreciate your position. Good luck with your work at UBC.
cheers bertoli
Old February 7th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Contributor (100-499 posts)

Hmm, I slept well last nights, had no idea what was going on. I would have rather expected the earth magnetic shield to drop down close to null as part of the polarity inversion process, a super volcano to erupt, the salinity conveyor belt to stop, or other major cataclysm to produce its devastating effects sooner than anyone could think about the "Universe"BC's collapse. Yes, for me UBC is a Universe. Not since 2-3 years ago when I started the set up of my small garden and referred to UBC to learn about a plant or another, but since I had an unexpected crop of pinus parviflora seeds, too many just for me, and wanted to give them away to somebody who needed and appreciated them. That was the starting point. It was about sharing. For me, in a very short period of time, UBC has transformed from a simple database to an extra dimension added somehow to my small garden project, which will reach its maturity or rather puberty in 10-20 years. Whom am I going to talk to or listen to about plants, especially conifers, from now on?!

Maybe there is a way to avoid this collapse. I don't know what can be done. There are implacable arguments. And I understand volunteering from outside UBC is not an option, but was the help of the possible willing UBC students taken into consideration?

Anyway, beside the mentioned ones, I want to express my gratitude to the professors Ron B, Michael F and others who have been putting their effort into this.

Last edited by danc; February 8th, 2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: spelling :(
Old February 7th, 2010, 03:51 AM

My utmost thanks to all who have worked so hard behind the scenes. I never even realized it was heavily moderated, which says a lot. I come from the film effects/video games world, and it's the same for us. The harder we work, the less anyone realizes what we've done, because the immersive experience takes over.

I feel like I have a dagger in my heart over the impending loss of the plant ID forum. The folks in there have responded to me so quickly, and with such amazing accuracy, helping to uncover the world around me here in LA. I will miss it and all of you dearly. That said, I'd love to hear alternatives for plant ID help, and if you're so obliged, I'll leave it up to you as to whether or not to save spamming the group here by PMing me with any suggestions, or sharing with the group for others in my situation.

Thanks again so much to the staff of UBC and to my fellow hobbyists!
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Generous Contributor (500-999 posts)

Location: Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria] , BC, Canada

To those from away, I wanted to mention sadly that there are other garden forums, in the list provided at the top of the Forums introductory page... quite a good list. I have explored some of them, and have not taken the time to really get immersed in them, but one or two struck me as quite good. A little more chatty and beginnerish than here, perhaps, but I don't see why an ID forum or a more advanced forum couldn't be established in one of these with the same participants. I know it won't be the same, though. If any of you have done this and have adopted a new forum, please let us know which one. Meanwhile I think if your plant interests cross into plants growing in the Pacific Northwest, there is no reason stated that you can't participate in that forum here at the UBC Gardening Forum...
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Plant Enthusiast (1000+ posts)

http://unusualplants.net

Many UBC expatriates are there already.
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Banned

We have that as a link in Daniel's list Togata..expats lol

The ones there are also here posting.

I believe in share n share alike.
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Banned

I'm here for the long haul, and my own sites of course Janet.
Old February 7th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Mycology & Botany Enthusiast

Quote:
There are others who are not as visible as Daniel and Eric. For example. Raakel, who helped out for awhile; the IT staff who work behind the scenes to maintain the computer infrastructure. They all do their share to make this possible.
Yes I did mean to be inclusive in my thanks as well: Thank you also Eric LaFountaine and all the UBCBG staff who have supported this project! I have really appreciated these Forums and hope that they will continue!

frog
Old February 7th, 2010, 04:40 PM

Katalina25, you referred to your own site, could you post that here? You may have announced or given it previously, on a quick look I couldn't find it, not sure which one it is -- I am caught in a time bind [isn't everybody though?] and don't want to search time-consumingly on here for it -- could you either send it to me by PM or just quote it here?
Old February 7th, 2010, 05:04 PM

Janet,
GOOD PLAN! I just redid some of my "Small Space" garden this morning and was wondering if it was too soon to post what I did. To post or not to post - that is the question. I didn't want to add any burden what-so-ever onto Daniel and Eric, which is why I'm a bit reluctant. What do you think?
Old February 7th, 2010, 05:12 PM

Ive been on here for a few years, and I joined to help with my addiction to houseplants. I then became obsessed with palm trees, then bamboo, now im crazy enough to try to grow musa basjoo in my area. I most of my plant knowledge to the people here, including daniel, LPN, Photopro and many many others.

Id like to thank everyone for emparting their knowledge on me, and thank daniel for running a very well respected forum. Thanks for all the help!
Old February 7th, 2010, 05:37 PM

[QUOTE=joclyn;245613][COLOR="DarkOrchid"]that's absolutely incorrect.

If I "may" at this late stage anyway put my seed of lets call it Kale.

The HL may come across of over joyous etc.
That is no reason to think that "ones" posting are any better, informative or what ever you may label it as!
Reading her many posts and exchanging pm taught me to grow peppers of all sorts and at least one dozen type of flowers etc. AND and SHE was the 1st person in the world who has ever offered me to send me "something" to grow and eat from and look at and please the relevant senses. How many people actually DO something for free for someone they don't know. And I don't mean to give X $ to Haiti or else.
So I find it very uncivil to here publicly single out someone for being of a joyful and forthcoming nature and bubbly nature and yea who may gets cheesed by overbearing high mind fliers such as......
I write here in person that I at it seems many others have and will in furthe enjoy her no frills character, be it from her winter apartment gardening or greener summer pastures.
If you anyone enjoys to be from part of the "upper stiff lip" club so be it.
Since this Forum is closing some the "upper crust" non managerial members obviously wanted to shake hand in style and leave a mark of their knowledge and service appreciating crest.
It's so "bloody CHIC" UK style to let servant go in style by wetting hankerchives and a good self pad on the back on how good one was behaving all the way with them.

That does not make it a general human rule and as I said several times WITHOUT THE PUBLIC there would be no UBC gardens etc.. unless you call a closed monastery garden a park where no one but the upper crust nuns frolic in their own knowledge.

I thought some great things about this democracy that we call Canada was that a UBC did have a public outlet to mix and mingle indirectly and maybe "oh my god, how dare I" be merry with the botanist and share and query for knowledge. Obviously as Chinese say NO MONEY NO TALK rules everywhere and so be it.

Sadly the sign says "CLOSED". I wonder how many Professors if would take to cut a small slice from their healthy salaries to finance this 'public" forum to continue.

Beside that I think, many here have a lot to learn to become a bit humble and making receiving, exchanging and meeting at grass root level more than a national image. The reality is after living and working in 13 countries worldwide and speaking 6 languages this country is filled with people who regret the good'ol ways, before all the foreigner invaded. Racism and all the boiled down under currents are well alive and some of the comments here about people being themselves are just some of those.
Racisme is not only between races but simply between people thinking their ways are better and their views are brighter and those who think otherwise should not have a say.
Well my "Pandora box is exploding of sarcasm" take it from me "get a life"
This is only the most beautiful place on earth for those who have lived in cocoon and never been anywhere else.

Anyway as this Forum is supposed to be closed since the 8th or 9th. exclusion may not be an option.
It makes me feel some are trying to shoot some last salvos from their sinking ships so why not shoot one also from my schooner on the way to Tahiti :-).
My Forum is still open at http://www.visualsenses.com/forumweb/
Old February 7th, 2010, 05:59 PM

Just a wake up call... this country was founded on foregners, and it will always have them... if you dont like the way the country or how the people are.. get out...
Old February 7th, 2010, 06:07 PM

danc said in a previous post that volunteering from outside UBC is not allowed. Why? Aren't the Friends of the Gardens (I may have the wrong title) volunteers from the community? Any info on this subject would be useful.
Old February 7th, 2010, 06:18 PM

I am pretty sure that allowing volunteers to run this from the top level would be a problem for the Botanical Gardens but why not one or two of the sub-forums, to start? That wouldn't be such a bad job. The only thing is the duty to delete bad posts, soothe irritated conversationalists, etc., etc. -- keeping on top of this would soon turn into a 24-hr job almost, which would be difficult for any volunteer. I think we need to urge them to hire a student to do the security and crazies-screening, leaving the botanical and overall appearance of the Forum to the Gardens staff. It would be a wonderful job for a computer science undergraduate, even... Even if none of our posts got "on" the forum for a few days until screened, that would be fine with me... I can wait. I have heard that there is a new director for the Botanical Gardens and perhaps all this difficulty comes from that angle, but anyone, even if he didn't have a new boss, would find the work load that Daniel had very difficult. He was on medical leave, too, and must have had a really difficult year. Let's urge them to hire a student or students to do the security and even the computer behind-the-scenes work, or assist Daniel and Eric more, anyway... many students would rather do that than work in the cafeterias or checking out books in libraries, etc...
Old February 7th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Plant Enthusiast (1000+ posts)

Oh, my.
I believe, Canadianplant, that vic was advocating a philosophy of inclusion and acceptance, which appears to be the opposite of yours.

Agree with vic 100% on the following points:

A forum is of the public; without the public there is no forum.
This public is composed of people, and these people come from every country and philosophical background and style.
By wiping out our defining, individual characteristics, by accepting members who behave in a prescribed way, this Forum indicates its rejection of the public.

Without the public, there is no Forum.
Old February 7th, 2010, 06:33 PM

"GOOD PLAN! I just redid some of my "Small Space" garden this morning and was wondering if it was too soon to post what I did. To post or not to post - that is the question. I didn't want to add any burden what-so-ever onto Daniel and Eric, which is why I'm a bit reluctant. What do you think?" from Barbara Cameron above, re posting...

Why not post in the Gardening in the Pacific Northwest, Barbara? Just give your post a heading which others can return to in reply, creating a thread, as before, and we just pitch in and discuss small gardens that way? I don't think that anything that is strictly garden-oriented, free from personal politicizing over a variety of issues, would create any hazard or work for Daniel and others -- it would be scanned quickly and not considered problematical. You fit the geographical area, there should be no question. Just put "Small Space Gardening" as your topic, and we can follow from there in the same thread.
Old February 7th, 2010, 07:35 PM

I agree with acceptance, and inclusion, but when I see this about my country in not going to be very impressed

"The reality is after living and working in 13 countries worldwide and speaking 6 languages this country is filled with people who regret the good'ol ways, before all the foreigner invaded."

Im part ukranian, and if it wasnt for these "invaders" I wouldnt be here. And if you think of it in gardening terms, our yards would look totaly different without " foreign invaders".

calling anything an invader in my opinion is the opposite of acceptance and inclusion
Old February 7th, 2010, 08:00 PM

calling anything an invader in my opinion is the opposite of acceptance and inclusion[/QUOTE]

Sorry to disappoint or any missunderstanding: What I meant to say was.
But when one goes on BBS forums or like the Vancouver Forum and other places on the Net where anonymity is the rule or simpler when you sit still and sort of "eves drop, listen in public places" you would be amazed on all that "we" the ex foreigners are called much worse than "invaders".

I have hear more and more here people "regretting " the times where jobs where not taken away by this race or that race etc especially since the economy is not afloat as it used to be.

Anyway sorry this takes us a long shot from gardening may your plot be full of healthy green.

I do not understand I thought this Forum is closed and still get all these message that someone posted something.
I did not mean to offend any immigrant as I am one myself.
Old February 7th, 2010, 08:14 PM

Ahhhh dude lol im sorry

The down side of the internet.... you can easily misinterpret words:S I didnt mean to offen dyou either dude :S
Old February 8th, 2010, 09:08 AM

I had thought that a place as well established as UBC would have been a safe place to call home.
I feel like a weed, tossed on the compost as being not up to snuff and definitely undesirable, a failed experiment.
But, RIP UBC 'ordinary' gardeners' forum, if that is the state it is in.
I'd rather say it here. I won't gossip or mention UBC at all elsewhere.

Thanks for the effort, anyway.

D
Old February 8th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Banned

LMAOOOOOO Danc

Give over, of course you are wanted..cough..needed here.

You made some great posts, certainlly not a tossed out weed.

Its up to us to stay and see what fab changes the admin has lined up, maybe a few nice surprises too. You should realise they won't allow such a resource to simply 'fade away'.
Old February 8th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Banned

Vic,

Drag the mouse along the sentence you are quoting then hit the small icon which is the last on the right in the menu above the text box.

That way you won't have any broken tags like the </quote>
Old February 8th, 2010, 09:48 AM

Dana09 -- keep up with your posts in the Gardening in the Pacific Northwest forum and be an "answerer" to posts in the new gardening questions forum, and stay with us. There is a new Director and I wrote to him, he replied that they are going to try to keep this whole Forum going when they again review it this year, I suspect it is a temporary measure to relieve work loads and get things done over-all -- plus a serious drop in investment funds of the University and in over-all funding too-- don't make Daniel and others feel any worse than they do by having to do this... Anyway, we should all argue that the Forum is a valid Continuing Education function for the University and since [I think I am right here, correct me if I'm not] BC does not have a provincial horticultural/agricultural Extension Service this Forum is all the more necessary. I think this latter point is an argument we could use.
Old February 8th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Banned

Amen to that,

I had the feeling it may turn out yet to be well which is why I have no intention of signing anywhere else.

Everything is here we could ever want for our chosen subject of gardening and all that includes.

Hopefully we will all take a glass from the tray and toast this forum in champagne in the months to come.
Post New ThreadClosed Thread