spathiphyllum from seed (indoor)

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Eldhr, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Eldhr

Eldhr Member

Hi everyone,

I recently bought spathiphyllum wallisii seeds because I thought it would be more interesting to raise a plant than just buying a full-grown one. However, I have zero experience with this. I heard a Peace Lily is a pretty easy plant, but I'm still not sure how to do this properly. Can anyone give some pointers, please? (for spathiphyllum or in general) I would also like to know how long it takes for a peace lily seed to germinate.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Found from the Medellin area of Colombia northward through much of Central America into Mexico and south into Paraguay Spathiphyllum walissi forms a dense clump with the plant growing to less than one meter in height. The inflorescences rise above the leaves producing a spathe that is white once the plant reaches sexual anthesis. If pollinated the spathe turns green once the spadix begins to produce fruit. The species resembles Spathiphyllum patinii.

Growing the plant shouldn't be difficult but it will require some special attention and time.

An aroid the species grows naturally on the edges of water in it's native environment. In fact, Dr. Tom Croat who is the leading expert in this group of plants says he often sees them in standing water.

Many people claim this plant should be grown in low light as well as with little water but neither is accurate. Start with a very fast draining as well as loose soil mix. There isn't one available commercially so you'll need to mix it yourself. Begin with about 50% Miracle Grow Moisture Control mix and add to that a mixture of orchid bark containing charcoal, wood chips and gravel. Schultz brand is fine. Add about 20% peat moss, a good helping of finely cut shredded sphagnum moss, close to 15 to 20% Perlite, some cypress mulch and any compost you can obtain. Mix all this well and plant your seeds. Don't bury the seeds but instead spread them in a thin layer of sphagnum moss placed on the top of the soil. Don't allow this to dry out! Keep the plant in fairly bright light near a window and make sure the soil stays evenly damp.

If you cover the entire pot with anything clear that will hold in the moisture but make the humidity stays as high as possible and you'll see better germination. You need to try to duplicate a humid, damp rain forest.

The soil mix should be kept evenly moist and it should take 10 days or so for the seeds to germinate. The plant will take close to two years to begin to develop but if you keep it slightly damp and in good light you should be successful.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009