Mushroom Poisoning : The Role of Careless Identifications

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Daniel Mosquin, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

2. 2annbrow

2annbrow Active Member

North Bend OR US;Oregon coast, just N of Coos Bay
    Told to me by a friend with long experience.
    There are old mushroom hunters, and there are bold mushroom hunters - but there are no old, bold mushroom hunters.

3. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

I pick mushroom with caveats.

I know about five that I eat, and even then I am careful
    I know several of the poisonous mushrooms.

Most mushrooms encountered, I cannot identify. Generally I am referring to the individual mushrooms in insufficient quantities to bother with even if edible. Usually I try to get a rough identification using Barron's field Guide.

Anybody picking mushrooms for ingesting, without some knowledge probably has a screw loose.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

5. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Having just recently consumed the Non-ringed Honey Mushroom...with very uncomfortable digestive results....I can relate to this article. I have eaten this mushroom last year with no bad results, but this year? Not the same luck.
    No chance I mistook it for something else....but....no doubt it left me with a very uncomfortable 24 hours after digestion.

6. ariani

ariani Active Member 10 Years

As far as I know, I never pick up mushrooms in wild becasue I can not determine them completely and it is dangerous. If your needs mushroom you can purchase on the stores and malls where they are controlled and conserved. I like mushroom a lot and I gro them in the garden but just for fun and researches, not for eating. I feel so sorry for those who got poisoned and in my counbtry I know many cases who accidentally got poison from mushrooms and passed way.