Espaliade apple tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Charles Richard, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

They have these espaliade apple trees at the nursery with four or more apples on them.
    Thinking of these for space requirements. Are they a good choice and has anyone had experience with them and/or knowledge which would help me in making a educated choice?
    We do not require a large amount of apples and I thought they might be a good way of having a couple different varities and not four trees.
    Thank You

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I haven't bought these multiple variety apple trees, but I have grafted them myself. I also haven't tried to grow them as espaliers, but that should work quite well, as long as you have the proper dwarfing root stock. My only problem with the four-variety apple tree is that one of the varieties is much less robust than the others. As a result, that variety grows very little each year compared to the other ones and has produced very few apples. Pruning the other varieties more severely than the weak one should help, and I do that; but apparently not severely enough. Since espaliers require very extensive pruning, they might not be as susceptible to this problem.