Identification: Tree Fungus Growth

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by JJIowa, Oct 12, 2009.

1. JJIowa

JJIowa Member

I just cleared away some suckers from my Magnolia tree its been an unsually wet summer and fall so far and discovered this Fungus coming out of my tree at the severed limb and also at the roots. Does anyone know what it is and is it killing my beautiful Magnolia Tree? The tree is hollow in the middle from and aunt infestation a few years ago but it has come back beautifully and leaves and blooms are healthy. It pretty cool looking I took pics for my photo class but if its a sign of illness I need to know what to do.

Attached Files:

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Cool mushroom. That's a Polyporus squamosus.

3. JJIowa

JJIowa Member

Excellent! Thanks!

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'm glad you had an ID for that MycoRob. I've never seen one of these - wierd looking critter.
    Is it true folks eat them?

frog

5. JJIowa

JJIowa Member

Me Too. Now I know it won't really harm my tree.

Yes apparently its pretty tasty when they are younger. I was searching the web and found some recipes. I guess its usually found during Morrel season but more common than morrels. I suspect this has been on my tree all summer it looks pretty mature. But awesome. I am inspired to take more picutures of these fungii really has peaked my botanical interests but good.

6. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

I eat them. But I only eat the outside 2 or 3 inches of 'newer growth'. They smell like the rind of a watermelon and taste OK in a green salad. The one pictured here is old and I'm not even sure the squirrels would eat it.