Identification: Mushroom indentification !!! Please helpppppp

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by jmanjammin, Oct 10, 2009.

1. jmanjammin

jmanjammin Member

can some one help me identify this mushroom and give me information on weither or not it would be safe to eat

Attached Files:

2. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

We need a picture of the underside to see the gills and stem.

was it growing in grass, under trees ? what kind of trees.

Was that urgency in your post about whether it is edible because someone (or your pet) already ate some?

3. jmanjammin

jmanjammin Member

it was growing on my front lawn there is a palm tree near it but i wouldnt say exactly under it. the urgency is i just wnat to know if i can eat it hahah sorry but i would really appreciate the help.

Attached Files:

4. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

do the gills on the underside of the mushroom have a green hue to them or is that a camera effect? If they aren't greenish, then are they whitish or brownish?

5. jmanjammin

jmanjammin Member

whitish to brownish, but if thhey were to be green could u also give me information about both situations

6. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

if there was any hint of green on the gills it would be the poisonous Chlorophyllum molybdites (responsible for more mushroom poisonings in the US than any other mushroom). If they are pink or brown, it's probably in the genus Agaricus (like you store bought button mushrooms). Both of these mushrooms have white gills to begin with and then develop the color at maturity. I'd take your mushroom and let it sit inside and see the gills change color a little by morning. Alternatively, if they really don't change color you could even have an Amanita (responsible for the most mushroom deaths and liver transplants in the country) on your hands. see http://www.mushroomexpert.com/amanita_thiersii.html for one example. And if you're going to have the mushroom inside overnight, you might as well take a spore print, which will conclusively pin down what genus you might have there. Please see http://www.mushroomexpert.com/spore_print.html for the nuts and bolts on that process.

let us know what you turn up.

7. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

...plus if overnight the cap reorients itself parallel to the ground, then that would point to Amanita too.

... which makes me now want to know if any other (non-polypore, cap&stem) genera do this besides Amanita - anybody know?