Identification: Identify this shroom, Augusta, GA USA

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by farishawk88, Oct 8, 2009.

1. farishawk88

farishawk88 Member

found growing this morning after a rain yesterday. I live in augusta, ga, usa. mid-east georgia near the border of southcarolina and about 25miles west of savannah river.
    they were growing just in the grass on the ground in my backyard in sunlight.

non slimy or hairy, almost velvety but not quite (maybe cus they are still young). although they are growing very close the stems are quite long about 6 inches. gills on the underside. yellow sunburst pattern on the top and the edges are a darker matte orange. i took a little bite of one and its very bland, has no flavor, and easy to chew very tender. ate about 10min ago. i know u shouldnt but i did it anyway :0

pls identify

Attached Files:

2. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Looks like our Ringless Honey Mushroom again....Armillariella tabescens. You're in the right area....have you checked to see if there's a white spore print yet by any chance?
    When doing a taste test? Just TASTE it...chew a little...then spit out. Really not a good idea to swallow it...lol
    These are slightly bland...but if u cook them? A wonderful tasting addition. Some people, however, as with almost all mushrooms, get the upset stomach from them, still.

3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

If you eat unidentified mushrooms growing on buried wood in your lawn, keep in mind that this is Galerina "puppy-killer" species habitat as well. Not something you want to swallow.