Identification: Dune fungi unknown

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Parks Ecologist, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Parks Ecologist

Parks Ecologist Member

A big mistery, this subsurface object was found in New Jersey dunes. Previously had observed what looked to be morels on surface. These objects are very muscilagenous and have the pinkish membrane which easily detaches.

Attached Files:

2. Geastrum

Geastrum Active Member

It looks like it's a stinkhorn fungus, possibly Phallus hadriani. The pinkish, membranous specimens are the unexpanded "eggs" of the growing fruiting body.

3. Parks Ecologist

Parks Ecologist Member

Gaestrom, I think you have solved the mystery, Thank you! I have only seen it in the dune, but will look further.

4. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

I concur with Geastrum, this looks like a dead ringer for P. hadriani. I'd like to see a cross section of this fungus, just to make an absolute positive conclusion.

5. Parks Ecologist

Parks Ecologist Member

MicoRob, As per your request attached is a crossection of "egg", also note the extension of the other 'egg' producing a fruiting body.
    Thanks for your ID.

Attached Files:

6. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Thanks for being thorough - we're 100% sure now - and we'd love to see pictures of other fungi you find that grow in the dunes.