Orange Tree outside in winter

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Orange Tree amateur, Sep 26, 2009.

1. Orange Tree amateur

Orange Tree amateur Member

I have an orange tree that I planted from seed from a sunkist orange ten years ago. It has been inside until this summer when I repotted it in a larger pot and moved it outdoors. It has never born fruit. Once in the new pot and out in the summer sun it grew quite rapidly and is now too tall to move back in the house. (it was 7 feet tall when I moved it outdoors and now it is eight plus) Can anyone help me me with info? Can I leave it outside and if so what do I need to do to keep it healthly in the winter. I can move it next to the house under cover if need be or into the green house. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Outside is Greater Victoria. If I have to move it inside how much do I cut off?

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

I am assuming Victoria Canada here not Australia???

I suspect it will need winter protection. They are happiest in hot dry climates, Seville, California and Mildura (Aust.) Even Victoria Aust. can have some winter problems with citrus depending on elevation

Liz

3. Orange Tree amateur

Yes it is Victoria Canada, and I figured I would have to winterize, the question is to what extent do I have to winterize or is it simply smarter to trim it back and bring it inside

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Bring it inside, it is a subtropical/tropical tree. Do it soon, before there is too much of a temperature difference between indoors and outdoors. It will probably shed some leaves after being brought into the darker and less humid indoor environment. In fact, it would be best to keep it inside all of the time, inside of subjecting it to a change in conditions twice per year.

And having it shoot up and get too big in a short time!

Place in an intermediate area like a garage or covered porch before bringing into the regular living space, to give any bugs and slugs present a chance to evacuate where their presence will be less bothersome.

5. Orange Tree amateur

Thanks for the info I appreciate it, I will need to trim it down a bit, about how much?