What's eating my Peace Lily???

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by wvsmallie, Sep 22, 2009.

1. wvsmallie

wvsmallie Member

Hi,
    We're in the panhandle of West Virginia (Go, Mountaineers!) and I've had this Peace Lily for about 5 years. Each summer I sit it outside on display as it blooms! In the early fall, I bring it back inside, to enjoy the blooms again!! This past week, I brought it back inside and SOMETHING is snacking on it! Our home/cul-de-sac is privvy to "stink bugs", millipedes, and the like. Any suggestions? I see NO LIVING CREATURES on it anywhere. Thanks, in advance!!!
    Julie

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Give us a photo!

Did the snacking begin after you brought the plant inside? Do you have a pet that might be chowing down on it? What part of the plant is being eaten? Are there, say, neat pieces cut from the leaves, or transparent areas of leaves where veins remain but nothing else? Is there...
    As you can perceive, a photo is indeed worth a thousand words!

If you have had the plant for 5 years, I daresay that it's a good-sized one: if it's blooming for you, it must be happy. Give us a photo so that we can help you rid it of this mysterious attacker!

3. wvsmallie

wvsmallie Member

Please see pics! Thanks so much!

Attached Files:

4. wvsmallie

wvsmallie Member

PS...nibbling started after I brought it inside. I have seen my Maine Coon cat around the plant, but not actually snacking. Doesn't look like signs of him, though...

5. wvsmallie

wvsmallie Member

Peace Lily Munchers???

please see pics !!

6. marric

marric Member

Have you tried watering with insecticidal soap? I usually do that to kill any insect eggs that are in the soil, I usually spray the pot to. Those bugs hide anywhere they can. Maybe you brought an insect in when you brought the pot in. Perhaps an earwig?