Bing cherry tree seeds

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by GoddesssOya, Sep 22, 2009.

1. GoddesssOya

GoddesssOya Member

I'm having a heck of a time trying to start bing cherry trees from seeds. I live in Northwest Florida and don't know if climate has something to do with it or not. I plant the seeds and they don't open. I crack the seed open and plant the inside seed, and that doesn't grow either. Any suggestions?
    Thanks in Advance

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Seeds of cold climate trees like sweet cherry usually require a cold period to germinate. Some also require a warm period. If you are not pre-treating the seeds this is probably your problem.

Note that seedlings of 'Bing' will probably vary from the parent. You may not get the same quality of fruit from any of them.

And you will be waiting a matter of years to see what fruiting characteristics the seedlings will have.

If pest- and disease-susceptible sweet cherries can be grown that readily in northwest Florida.

3. GoddesssOya

GoddesssOya Member

If pest- and disease-susceptible sweet cherries can be grown that readily in northwest Florida. This was my main concern. How do you pre treat the seeds? I don't know if I want to put that much effort and energy into something I'm going to have to battle the squirrels, possums, lizards, snakes and insects for the fruit. I'll just continue to eat the fruit. Thanks Ron B What do you know about a Japanese Plum Tree?

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Those might do for you, originating from similarly hot and wet southeast Asia. Check with Florida Cooperative Extension for fruit selection and cultural recommendations. Best to buy grafted, named forms of known suitability rather than raise seedlings - when you do not have a specific (hobbyist) interest in seedlings.