Identification: Fall lawn mushrooms

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by abookcliff, Sep 15, 2009.

1. abookcliff

abookcliff Member

Fall Mushrooms.
    Every fall I get a few flushes of these along my grass clippings pile,thought I might be wasting some good food, so I thought I'd see if someone could help. They get reasonably large-up to 6-7 inches across-Veil as shown -no volva-top scales readily peel off-white gills, parallel as shown occasionally branched,double ring where gills reach almost to stem, stem is fibrous. Thanks--cliff LAWN MUSHROOM 002.jpg

LAWN MUSHROOM 004.jpg

LAWN MUSHROOM 001.JPG

2. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

They're not open far enough to sporulate but they're probably chlorophyllum rhacodes, the delicious shaggy parasol. If so they will have white spores.

Otherwise they will have green spores and be the poisonous chlorophyllum molybdites.

Should have left one in the ground to open further.

Sorry.

3. abookcliff

abookcliff Member

Thanks, have been trying for spore print, on the most mature, on both white and blue grounds-=so far nothing. On the chance that they are parasols i will water the area well and try and drive another flush-cheers-c

4. abookcliff

abookcliff Member

White spores finally--good flush coming with the increased watering--thanks

5. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

Just a note that i've taken spore prints of the green spored look-alike (C. molybdites) and before there are enough spores to look green, they do look white. To elaborate, when the spores are just visible on the paper, they looked white. Then the next morning, they were clearly pale green. And note that they don't nickname the green spored one 'the vomiter' for nothing - it's responsible for most poisonings in the US than any other mushroom.

6. abookcliff

abookcliff Member

Thanks--did not go by dropped color, but concentrated them on my fingertip--definitely strong white with no other tints, even heavy drop on white paper is invisible--watering has worked--there are now about 20 clusters. Shall harvest a few and taste a minimum amount,cooked, to test my personal reaction to the variety. I shall also plant some old spent ones in other similar locations about the yard, for next year. If flavour, taste and body reaction are good , then will have a bonus each fall. Thanks, so much.

7. abookcliff

abookcliff Member

AN UPDATE FOR ANYONE INTERESTED--SPORE IS WHITE--HARVESTED ABOUT 20 POUNDS--BOILED THE STEMS--FRIED THE CAPS. PERSONALLY I THINK THE STEMS ARE SLIGHTLY MORE TASTY--HAD A VERY SMALL MORSEL OF EACH-BODY APPEARS TO ACCEPT THEM OK (2-HOURS)-TOMORROW WILL TELL.WILL DISPOSE OF WASTE CAPS IN OTHER LIKELY SPOTS FOR NEXT FALL. IS ANYBODY AWARE OF ANY OTHER LOOK ALIKES THAN C. molybdites, THAT MIGHT INTERCROP AND CAUSE PROBLEMS WITH IMPRUDENT PICKING? ONE NOTE HERE--IT APPEARS THAT ANY SHROOMS GROWING UNDER RECENT LAWN CLIPPINGS ARE PRONE TO A HEAVY SURFACE MOLD--I DISCARDED THOSE--TOO MANY VARIABLES THERE FOR MY LIKING. CHEERS