Blueberry lookalike

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by aquintal, Sep 9, 2009.

1. aquintal

aquintal Member

These berries grow alongside a wild blueberry patch in Maine. My kids love to pick the blueberries but I'm afraid they are going to get them mixed up and eat these instead. Does anyone know what they are and if the are poisonous? Thank you for the help!

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Looks like an Aralia.

3. GeorgefromCanada

GeorgefromCanada Member

These berries also grow in northeastern Ontario. I have been trying to identify them as well but can't find any info at all about them. Some local folks make jam with them but I would like to know for sure before I try it.

Attached Files:

4. wrygrass2

wrygrass2 Active Member 10 Years

After looking at the right side of Canada and the US the choices were Aralia hispida and A. racemosa. With the hairy stems I would guess (emphasize guess) A. hispida. for the Ontario plant. As it is also in Rhode Island could be the original plant in the thread too.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'm 90% certain that the plant from the original poster is Aralia hispida. I'm 99% certain that the plant in the subsequent postings is Aralia hispida.

6. GeorgefromCanada

GeorgefromCanada Member

Thanks, A search of "Aralia hispida" lead me to it's common name "bristly sarsaparilla" but I have not found info on wheather the fruit is safe to eat or not.

7. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not safe to eat (birds can eat them OK, though).

8. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

No, I wouldn't either, though a search for -> Aralia hispida jelly <- comes up with a few mentions. More common is the use of the root as flavouring in tea or root beer.