*Apple Tree* Zone 3a - Newbie Acquired Fruit Trees and Needs Advice

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by Zone 3a Newbie, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Zone 3a Newbie

Zone 3a Newbie Member

Good Morning,

I came across these forums while browsing the internet and was astonished by all the knowledgeable members who take their time to provide advice to others; so, I thought I would try my luck thank you in advance to those who can help out!

Background Info:

-I consider myself an amateur in the garden as I have only recently moved into a home with actual gardening potential.

-Upon moving into our home in December, we were handed a diagram labelling the fruit trees we currently have in our yard and were simply told that all fruit was edible. I have done absolutely nothing this year to the trees as I figured I would use our first summer to see what grows. Surprisingly, Mother Nature has taken good care of the trees on her own and almost all of the trees have produced fruit.

-I dont know how old the trees are; however, the house was built in 2002, so I could assume that they are no older than 7 years.

-I live in Calgary, AB, which according to my research is in Zone 3a.

I am going to post each of our trees (with pics) in separate posts and heres where you come in; I need help/advice/feedback regarding the following:

-Do you know what specific species of pear/apple/plum/cherry tree this is?

-What kind of maintenance/pruning/etc. needs to be done to reach its maximum potential?

-When do I harvest the fruit?

-How do I store the fruit?

-Is it ripe enough to eat or will it never ripen to a point where it is edible based on our planting zone?

-Lastly, if you know of any good online resources, I would be grateful if you could drop me some links.

Here's the next tree:

Apple Tree (I forget what this one is called, I'll update this post once I get home and check the diagram again)

None of these apples are falling just yet and the tree itself seems pretty healthy.

Attached Files:

2. Gardenlover

Gardenlover Active Member

I like that tree!
    Nice shape and good trunk...I hope it is a red baron or macintosh if you are in zone 3