UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Archives (no new threads) > Outdoor Tropicals

Post New ThreadReply

Old August 20th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Registered (1-2 posts)

Transplanting Little Gem Magnolia

I have a few questions regarding the transplanting of a few trees. I live in a part of Maryland that has mostly sandy soil and experiences temps in the high 80's to mid 90's (Fahrenheit) at this time of year. I have three Little Gem Magnolias that were planted last fall in the front yard of my new home. I have been planting cypress all along the front line and want to transplant these three trees to the back yard. Each is about 3 feet tall and 2-3 feet wide.

First question: Is it a good time to transplant these trees, or should I wait until fall?

Second question: How deep and wide around each magnolia should I go to get the best root ball?

Third question: One of the magnolias seems overgrown by some sort of vine plant. What is the best way to remove this vine from the tree?
Old August 20th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Ardent Plant Enthusiast (10000+ posts)

Re: Transplanting Little Gem Magnolia

Try it next month or whenever soils are still warm but winter cold is a ways off. Size of each ball depends on individual circumstances. Cut the vine off at the ground.
Post New ThreadReply