UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Archives (no new threads) > Plant Propagation

Post New ThreadReply

Old August 11th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

How to propagate an umbrella plant

I have an umbrella plant it has grown to the ceiling i am no sure how to go about rooting the top i cut off of it and will the rest of the plant bush out a little or did i mess it up?? HElp
Old August 12th, 2009, 03:51 AM

Re: How to propagate an umbrella plant

There are a few ways to propagate an umbrella tree, assuming you are talking about a schefflera. Air layering is one way, but the easiest way is cuttings. Cut into approximately 10cm lengths (tips preferably). Cut off any of the bottom leaves of the cuttings but leave the new tips. Make sure you keep them moist but not too wet either. Bottom heat and chemical hormones will also help such as 'Clonex' but is not necessary.
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:20 AM

well i cut it in half and hopefully the original plant will bush out a little... but the top i cut off i am trying to root will a bowl of water make this plant root with some bottom heat??? or should i cut up to help root the branch its probably 1/2 inch thick

here is a pic of my plant Schefflera Arboricola this is the top i cut off the rest of the plantit hasnt withered or anything yet i just have it in some water but really dont want to loose it .....let me know if anyone has any suggestions
Attached Thumbnails (click on thumbnail to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	plant.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	67536   Click image for larger version

Name:	plant (2).jpg
Views:	464
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	67537  

Last edited by Daniel Mosquin; December 7th, 2009 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Merged 2 posts into 1
Old December 6th, 2009, 01:08 AM

Hi samelio00, just wondering if your schefflera rooted well in water? Also, how exactly do you apply bottom heat?
thanks
Old December 6th, 2009, 07:39 AM

she rooted great i just cut the top off and stuck it in a cup of water within a month she had roots to where i could plant her in dirt as for the bottom heat i had none i couldnt find my heating pad. I just have a seed starter pad ...if u dont have one i just left mine by the sink where the humidity could get to her and by a window and she will do fine hope i could help :)
Post New ThreadReply