Jade in Trouble

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by SueEllen, Jul 21, 2009.

1. SueEllen

SueEllen Member

My jade plant does not look well (see attached pix.) I repotted it about a month ago as I thought it needed a bigger pot. I've had it for probably 5+ years. It gets plenty of bright light. We have had 100+* temps here in Texas lately. Is it too hot? Should I take it inside? Is this a sign of too much water? Too much heat?

Attached Files:

2. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

The brown patches look like sunburn, and some of the other leaves look pale, or washed out, it should be a nice dark green color. You can pinch all the damaged ones off, new healthier ones will eventually grow in their place.
    I'd give it a little more shade outdoors, it will still grow and look good with less sun. When indoor sun loving plants are moved outdoors, it should be done "gradually", over time giving it more and more brighter light, or the leaves can burn.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Toasted jade! I sympathize with this plant: same thing happens to me when I am in the direct sun for longer than 10 minutes.

4. SueEllen

SueEllen Member

My jade's been outdoors in the same spot for 5+ years but we are having an especially hot summer this year. I have moved it across the patio where it's a little more shaded. I hope it makes it! It's been outside all this time -- should I take it indoors? I'm afraid that might make it shock. Since the other leaves look "pale or washed out" should I water more or less? Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

What a great forum I have found here. I will bring future questions here as well. I've got an evergreen Wisteria that I'm trying to figure out how to train or prune. It's absolutely gorgeous but I'm just not sure what to do with it... more to come!

5. Bluewing

Bluewing Well-Known Member

Keep watering the way you were, that doesn't seem to be an issue since you have had it for 5+ yrs.
    Your jade should do better now with a little more shade:)

6. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

jades can certainly thrive in direct sunlight - and for most of the day, too.

if you move a plant from shadier conditions directly to a much sunnier spot - with no ease-in period - then the plant will suffer from sunburn. if it's eased into the sunnier spot over the course of a couple weeks, it'll have time to adjust and will do just fine. when moving any plant (not just jades) from inside the house to outside, you need to take into consideration that inside sunlight is much less bright than outside...so, if it's in a full-sun window inside, it should be in a partly shaded spot outside until it's adjusted and then gradually move it into full-sun outside. the glass cuts some of the suns rays - even if it's not specifically coated to do such - it's just the nature of it.

when moving plants back inside for wintering, reverse the process to allow them time to adjust to lower light conditions.

jades will also do okay in very shady conditions - just won't grow as quickly and those varieties that turn red on the tips when in full sun will just stay green.

the circumstances in tx right now are not the usual...this plant has been outside for years, with no adverse affects. it's just that the conditions right now are severe.

as already suggested, pinch off the damaged leaves (they will regrow and fairly quickly in your location) and move the plant to a slightly shaded spot on your porch...basically, you want to protect it from the hottest sun of the day - that mid-afternoon sun. keep the same watering routine! normally, in shadier conditions you can ease off a bit with water, since, less sun equals a bit lower heat and the soil will stay moister than if the pot is in full sun all day long. since the temps there are hotter than usual, even in the shade, the soil will still dry out fairly quickly...so, keep the same watering routine.

jades are quite hardy and your jade will survive - just needs a bit of tlc at the moment.