Acer saccharinum f. laciniatum

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by wcutler, Jul 11, 2009.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Straley, in Trees of Vancouver, says there are only three known locations of Acer saccharinum 'Laciniata' in Vancouver, one of which is Nelson St between Gilford and Stanley Park. There are at least three of these trees on this block west of Gilford, some doing more to support the leaf galls than others. I didn't see any samaras on these trees or under them.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Re: Acer saccharinum 'Laciniata'

Identification should be changed to A. saccharinum f. laciniatum, a botanical designation embracing all cut-leaved silver maples. Named selections of some frequency include 'Beebe Cutleaf Weeping', 'Skinneri' and 'Wieri Laciniatum'.

3. wcutler

Thanks, Ron. I just remembered a trick to change the thread name, so I've done that.

Straley only found this tree in three locations in Vancouver, but on a tour of neighbourhood gardens today, we walked past at least three of these trees on E. 7th Ave just east of Prince Albert. You can see the silvery undersides of the leaves in the background in the second photo.

4. wcutler

Regarding posting #3, I just noticed that that location IS listed in Straley's Trees of Vancouver, but as Acer platanoides 'Dissectum'. So Norway Maples. But I mentioned the silvery undersides, the absence of which is supposed to distinguish Norway Maples. Does that still hold for 'Dissectum'?

Straley is much more likely to have got it right than me, so I was going to suggest maybe these two postings should be moved (or posting 3 copied, leaving the first sentence there)? But then the two leaf photos in the Acer platanoides 'Dissectum' thread don't look anything like the leaf photo here (nor do they seem to look anything like each other or like the drawing in Straley's book). And Straley's drawing of the saccharinum f. laciniatum does look like the photo in my posting. So I don't know.