My Jade Tree is Withering Away.......

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by noisuf, Jul 3, 2009.

1. noisuf

noisuf Member

Hi Everyone,

My Jade Tree (given by my grandma) has resided nicely in my front garden for 6 years...flourishing and slowly growing...flowering once in a while...

Unfortunately, around three months ago, I notice a small branch on the ground and thought, "it must be my little 1 1/2 year old girl playing with the tree".

As the months have passed, more and more branches seem to be losing strength and become floppy before falling off. I water it quite often and haven't really changed my watering habits...

Hope someone can help!!! A pic link is attached below.

Attached Files:

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

such a pretty tree!! it's a shame that there's an issue and it would be more a shame for you to lose it!!

it really shouldn't need too much watering at all. it's a succulent and stores water in the trunk, branches and leaves. if you are watering it frequently, there could be rot happening at the roots. there could also be rot happening somewhere along the part that is losing leaves/branches.

to check for rot, squeeze the branches and trunk...if soft/mushy, then there's rot. you can easily cut off the bad part...just make sure to get all the bad stuff and go down just another half inch so that you are sure that you're into the good/healthy material (so that the rot doesn't continue to spread).

rot can happen in the upper part of the branches and/or trunk when the plant is damaged and extra moisture gets in. jades are so resilient that cutting parts off doesn't really affect the rest of the plant...so, it's easy enough to fix it when it occurs.

3. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

You could also make some cuttings by taking a couple of pieces and putting them in a well drained pot of cactus type mix. Keep it near the big plant and as Jocyln has said not too damp better a bit dry. You may not even need to water the mother plant given your location. These plants thrive in our climate,

Liz
    in the Hills where it is pouring

4. noisuf

noisuf Member

Thanks for the replies!!!

May I ask a couple of questions:

1) Will the tree start growing back new branches?

2) Cutting a few pieces and putting into well drained pot of cactus mix...is this using the drooping branches or fresh ones?

Thanks!!!

5. Liz

Just a little fresh piece and try the droopy ones as well once you have a nice clean section ostem with no rot. Maybe in a separate pot for safety. I had a big piece growing on the paddock edge when we first came here. Goats did a job on it as is there want, So rescued what was left re set it in the garden and its been there ever since.

Had some other thing (similar) chucked in a a baby's bath for ages and it is even flowering. Will need to be nice to that shortly.

Liz

6. noisuf

noisuf Member

Thanks Liz... A few more questions:

1) Does rot spread? The reason I ask is, when I cut off the rotting bits, it wasn't a clean cut and the rotted section kinda squashed and I could imagine 'squeezing' a bit of the rotted juices back into the plant. I noticed you said keep fresh and droopy cuttings in separate pots so makes me think rot spreads?

2) I'm intrigued with your suggestion to keep the new cuttings close to mother plant. Is there a scientific reason? Sounds fascinating.

3) I have a new picture below. The blue arrow unfortunately still looks like rot? Should I be even more dramatic and cut off at yellow line?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

7. Liz

The reason why I said keep it near by, is so you don't forget them. In my jungle I tend to put cuttings in and years later wonder why I need a machete or a herd of goats.

I think you can just dry the cutting out after you have got most of the rot off . I intially just tossed my paddock scraps on a garden bed and they were fine for weeks, These are succulents and if you don't over love them they will do better.

I just thought to may be keep the sick bits separate in case. But I realy think if you harden them off in a dry place they will be fine. Just keep them semi arid remember there is a drought on :)

Have you ever tried to repot the main plant? in nice new gravelly soil. If you do decide to cut it make the cuttings first get them going then cut the big plant back and repot.

Liz

8. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

yes, the rot will continue to spread if you don't get all of it out/off.

with the idea of saving that branch, the upper part where you think there is still rot there - slice off about 1/4 inch or so...if it still looks bad/mushy/yucky, slice off another bit and continue until you get to good healthy growth.

you could do the same with the bottom area as well...kind of slice into it like you would to take a bad spot out of a potato...

check the firmness of the branch in both locations...if the whole diamter of the branch, in either spot, is softish, then cut below the bad spot and remove the whole branch...then cut above the bad part so that you can root the piece.

these guys are really resillient and, even with such a major loss, the plant will regrow.