A place to post and chat about plant pics...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 14, 2009.

1. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

This is a spot for miscellaneous plant and flower pics that people would like to post and chat about. Also you can post peeks of seedlings, cuttings, grafts, experiments you are doing - anything you want, really.

Here's a couple of shots I just took today, of my indoor blooming flowers, to begin the thread...

First is my new 'black velvet rose' geranium, grown from seed. Also my 'berry swirl' pelargonium (not grown from seed). They are both blooming in my living room window.

Attached Files:

2. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Beautiful pics, Hollyberry! My mandevilla is the only thing worth looking at right now, and even that's only got one open flower. The peonies and roses already lost their flowers sadly, but I've got pepper seedlings too. Any tips on making them grow faster? I have some FloraGrow , FloraMicro and FloraBloom.

Dog pic too, couldn't resist the little bugger.

Attached Files:

3. The Hollyberry Lady

Thanks ShearMe! Your pics are cool too - nice doggie.

Ok yes, applying a half strength fertilizer will definitely make little pepper seedlings grow faster, but not until they have two sets of true leaves. For now, give them lots of sun. Remember when seedlings are young, they can sometimes look like they are not growing, but really they are building a root system beneath the soil. Give things time when they are grown from seed, and have patience. Your pepper seedling will be just fine.

I would combine the first two bottles of fertilizer in your pics - or even the 1st one and the last one, to make a very weak mixture, and apply when the seedlings have developed their second set of true leaves. I sometimes apply fertilizer sooner, but if you're a beginner, you wanna be careful, because fertilizer can easily kill them! Let the look of the seedlings be the true judge as to whether you need to apply any nutrients so soon.

Even though you've seen this pic, I am posting it here as well, so I can continue to post peeks as the seeds germinate. Thanks so much for sharing your loquat with me, ShearMe! I am so excited to grow one...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  4. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

That makes sense... I started a handful of seedlings, one withered away last night, another looks like it is starting to, but now that I know fertilizer kills the little ones I'll hold off. Only two look strong, one of which is outside and the other under the grow lamp. I tossed a few seeds outside to let nature take over for funzies, but so far it looks like I only have two plants, a good start for a newbie like myself.

Good luck on the loquats. ;)

5. The Hollyberry Lady

No worries, just pick the strongest, most healthy looking seedlings, and discard the rest. Sometimes too, seedlings can die from a process called 'damping off' whereby damping off bacteria kills the seedling shortly after they've sprouted, or even under the soil while they are just beginning to germinate - so you never even see them!

: O

Yes, don't be over zealous with the fertilizers, like most beginners are. It is far more easy to repair a under nourished plant than a over-fertilized dead one! Go easy - less is always best, most especially when they're young. By the looks of things though, you are going to do just fine.

So wonderful that you are a gardener now, ShearMe!

: )

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  6. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

I took some wonder mandevilla pictures today, they are almost in full bloom!

Attached Files:

7. The Hollyberry Lady

Gorgeous, ShearMe! Thanks for sharing. What a lovely flower. Feel free to post more pics as it blooms away...

Here is my passion flower vine that's been pruned to branch out. I have another that is outside, but this one will go out soon too. This type is called, 'caerulea'...

Attached Files:

8. The Hollyberry Lady

Here too, are 2 musa basjoo banana plants I just received from a kind soul off of this forum!

Although they don't look like much just yet - they will, I'm sure. They were in a dark box for over a week, but are now looking a bit more perked up.

I am so thrilled to be growing them and will post more peeks later...

Attached Files:

9. The Hollyberry Lady

The banana plants are definitely looking better this evening. Even though I cut off the browning tip, the leaf on this pup in unfolding!

I am so thrilled that I am going to be a banana grower...

Attached Files:

10. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

My grandmother took me out to Home Depot today, and we picked up some nice Vincas for some hanging baskets, a trellis for those melons, and some other various supplies.

Attached Files:

11. The Hollyberry Lady

Wow - those are so nice, ShearMe! Thanks for showing.

12. The Hollyberry Lady

Here's my purple cayenne hot pepper plant producing fruits inside. I love how they look almost black...

Attached Files:

13. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Those would go great crushed into some pasta! I sure would LOVE to see more pics than mine and HollyBerry's. *cough, cough rest of the forum :P*

14. The Hollyberry Lady

While we are waiting for other pictures - my mouth is watering...

Attached Files:

15. The Hollyberry Lady

The first plant is my 'Trifetti Variegata' from a seed trade with someone in Portugal!

The second pic is 'Bolivian Rainbow', also from my garden friend in Portugal...

Both plants produce edible hot peppers that are also incredibly ornamental when in the ripening stages. The 'Bolivian Rainbow' is going to be so pretty when the fruits begin to color!

I will show pics of course! Can't wait...

Attached Files:

16. The Hollyberry Lady

Goofing around with the camera today - took this shot of my bloomimg Cosmos, in front of my asiatic lily leaves...

Attached Files:

17. The Hollyberry Lady

Here's a pic of those coffee beans, ShearMe!

The first pic is the dry unroasted viable coffee beans. Even though they are not inside the 'cherries' they can still germinate.

The 2nd peek is coffee beans that have been soaked overnight - notice the little white embryo formed on one of the beans? This one is anxious to grow.

It will still take a month though, at least, for full germination to take place...

Attached Files:

18. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Way Cool! You're going to have to clue me in to how to germinate them properly. ;)

19. The Hollyberry Lady

Ok - I am told to soak the coffee beans overnight (24 hours), and then cover them lightly with well draining, light soil.

They are said to take at least 1 month to germinate. Mine have been in soil for 2 weeks and still nothing. It could even take 2 months!

I am keeping mine on the heat mat to send further warmth up into the soil, and encourage sprouting. I also use a mist bottle, which I use daily to moisten the soil. My heat mat makes a lot of moisture evaporate so the beans appreaciate the daily misting they get.

I am also trying to germinate my banana seeds, much the same way.

20. Joey D

Joey D Active Member

I'm at a public computer at the moment, but I'll be sure to contribute some pics soon :)

I *love* how you have such a way with those Passiflora vines Hollyberry! I have two new seedlings that have sprouted, but I still haven't managed to get them to develop true leaves yet. Hopefully with more sun they will be a bit more anxious this time around to send out some new growth!

Be back soon w/ pics :P

21. The Hollyberry Lady

Here is my new cuttings I got today from someone in California! It's a succulent called 'Burro's tail'.

I was given many more cuttings too, but these are just a couple.

Thank you, California!

Attached Files:

22. The Hollyberry Lady

Hi Joey!

So glad you've joined the thread! Yes, I welcome your pics, totally. If it wasn't for you Joey, I wouldn't even be growing a passiflora vine! I am so grateful to you.

Can't wait to see your pics...

23. The Hollyberry Lady

Here's a couple more shots I thought you might like to see, ShearMe:

The 1st
    Code:

2 pictures are my two little 'Temptation' strawberry seedlings (just showered), and the 3rd are my 'Blackberry Lily' seedlings too...

Attached Files:

24. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

The lily just looks like grass! A mistaken commoner not like ourselves could be trying to rid their flowerbeds of flowers! :P

I like the burrows tail! All the succulents we have available at home depot, not to say the least, suck. DX I will be traveling to an actual nursery next time I go for pre-grown plants though I don't know why I didn't go there first. :\

I have a 'hotbed' for cuttings and seeds, though most seeds from Wal-Mart never sprouted in the peat pellets. (It is probably the seeds though.) I use a regular heat pad because we have two and don't use either.

Good luck and can't wait!

25. The Hollyberry Lady

I assure you - they are not grass! I do think they look like chives or grass too though, yes.

The seeds are black prickly balls, that look like dried blackberries! Apparently the seedpods are extremely attractive, because of the ornamental 'blackberry' seeds among the flowers!

I am so excited to see them - other than internet photos.