Green golfball seed pods

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by irishlazz, May 31, 2009.

1. irishlazz

irishlazz Member

Found a few interesting seed pods on a hike yesterday (30 May 09) in Southern Vermont. They were firm, very lightweight, and about an inch diameter. I could not find any attached to a plant, so have no flower or leaves to add to the description. I broke one open and found a spiky odd bit inside. None of the three forestry folks I have asked knew what they were from. Can anyone here help solve my mystery? Here's hoping!

Attached Files:

2. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Actually a gall. They had me stumped last year trying to find their tree...this year I'm finding them on Oak. I've not noticed them doing any damage or harm luckily.

3. Imperfect Ending

Imperfect Ending Active Member

That's kinda creepy haha
    Can't believe you actually touched it and opened it up!

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

What causes these to form, C.W.? Are they of insect (or maybe extraterrestrial) origin? Do they form on leaves and then drop off? If so, why? ---Again, I am amazed at nature's infinite variety. a bowl of these would be a great centerpiece on a table in an episode of Star Trek.

5. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

6. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

I have to agree that nature is just infinitely wonderous in all it's proportions. Wether it be an insect forming these galls (this is a wasp)...or the actual BEAUTY of them. They're an incredible irridescent green....that turn a reddish pink with age (if the wasp larva dies) or grow larger till they're mistaken for actual apples. The dots on them go purple (with the death) or fade with the growth. Even once they've fallen off the leaves/stems of their hosts they dry up and still maintain a beauty to them.
    I've collected many that have dried in their larger sizes...a smooth skinned brown 'golf ball'...and have even used in crafts. :o)

7. irishlazz

irishlazz Member

http://urbpan.livejournal.com/370776.html

Thank you C Wick et.al. After some more searching I found another page with pics of a slightly later stage oak gall interior... larvae included.

I think I will be taking the one sitting on my desk and putting it out on the front porch before bed. EW! But fascinating and beautiful. Thank you!

8. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

LOL....I'm not big on wasps or their larva crawling around on my stuff either...lol
    You're very welcome for a heads up on these neat galls.