Philodendron "Soledad"

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by asj2008, May 21, 2009.

1. asj2008

asj2008 Active Member

2. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

The only thing I know is Rancho Soledad Nurseries does a number of cross pollinated plants but they apparently don't release info on parentage.

3. asj2008

asj2008 Active Member

They had emailed me with the info about parentage actually. I'll hold off for now though until I can make sure this isn't some sort of trade secret or something ;-)

The hybrid was introduced in the early 1980s it looks like.

4. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

I did a hybrid of P. bipinnatifidum and P. stenolobum in the late 1970s/early 1980s and called it "P. x willoum" at the time when I thought the P. stenolobum was P. williamsi. I still have my original specimens; see some here, including one that won an award at an IAS show:

http://aroidiaresearch.org/willoum.htm

I've since done F2 work and have come up with a very exciting hybrid that has leaves as long and narrow as P. stenolobum but slightly wavy as well. I'll need to post a pic as the plant is quite a sight to see.

LariAnn
    Aroidia Research

5. asj2008

asj2008 Active Member

Damn, lariAnn, I'm salivating already! Will you release some of your creations to eBay (or at least offer them for sale)...you'll be rich I tell ya :-)

Just remember that Indonesian meco hybrid (which I've since learned is from Greg Hambali) that went for like $300+ in eBay in 2005....

6. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

Get a bowl to catch that saliva, as I'll be posting a pic of my plant this evening. I don't have any clones of it yet; in fact, it has not yet bloomed, but is, so far, easy to grow. I also have what I call a "dwarf willoum", a much smaller growing version of the P. x willoum that would be perfect for indoor use. Now, if I can only figure out how to get these cloned and actually get paid for some of them!

LariAnn

7. asj2008

asj2008 Active Member

Ever consider tissue culture? Or is that a naive question?

8. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

Yes, a naive question! The problem is everyone wants to culture them for me, but no one wants to give me much, if any, money for them! If I didn't mind making nothing while the lab makes plenty, I could have had them in culture years ago. But I have this idea that I should get some compensation for my work and my plants. So, that's the conundrum.

LariAnn
    Aroiidia Research

9. photopro

Dang right about the compensation for your work part!

10. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

OK, folks, here are two pics of one of the F2 progeny of P. bipinnatifidum x P. stenolobum. I can assure you that the pictures do not do this plant justice, as the leaves are a darker green than they appear in this photos.

LariAnn
    Aroidia Research

Attached Files:

11. photopro

LariAnn, what is the current blade size? And will you be offering this in the fall? Take that as a compliment because you know I rarely buy bybrids.

12. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

Steve,

The blades are just over 3 feet long and 13 inches wide. I wish I had this plant cloned but it is one of only about half a dozen seedlings I got from this F2 cross. Thanks for the compliment, though!

LariAnn

13. asj2008

asj2008 Active Member

LariAnn,

I would have to say that is one of your best crossings ever...the leaves look absolutely fantastic, and coupled with the strong robust stem and constitution of a meconostigma, that aroid is a true winner.

Have you given it a name yet?

If it were slightly thinner, it would look like one of the more elaborate Kris daggers, deadly ceremonial weapons from the Malay peninsula...

Attached Files:

14. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

Thanks so much for the compliments! I haven't thought of a name for it yet, but am open to suggestions.

LariAnn

15. photopro

Whatever you call it I want one when it is available. I agree with Airlan, "one of your best".

16. asj2008

asj2008 Active Member

Hmmm....ok, we can think of suggestions for you. It would be good to name it as soon as possible...ownership is first derived through the naming of one's things.

I'm leaning towards something around daggers or shields, but will think about it....

17. asj2008

asj2008 Active Member

Ok, I thought of one name...

Philodendron 'Maharlika'

Maharlika means something of noble work, a noble creation.

I'll try to think of other suggestions....it probably should be one word...for example, i keep thinking of your "African Fantasy" as "African Mask" (because the shape of the leaves look like an elaborate mask/shield)

18. photopro

Oh, oh! That will drive the registrar nuts! Do it!

19. LariAnn

LariAnn Active Member

Philodendron 'Maharlika' - that's a great suggestion, and the best so far. It's exotic, has meaning, and so suits the plant.

Oh, when I finally get around to registering all my new hybrids, the registrar will have to take up residence in a padded cell, fed by paid attendants.

LariAnn

20. asj2008

asj2008 Active Member

The only other one I could think of is Philodendron 'Assegai', for the throwing spear used by Zulus and other warriors, but not sure whether the name of a weapon would be suitable here.

21. asj2008

asj2008 Active Member

Some feedback about the F2 from Leland...

These F-2 hybrids of Philodendron stenolobum x bipinnatifidum are nice. My plant that I was referring to looks similar but not as narrow and my posterior lobes overlap quite a bit...the naked sinus is also prominent. It appears that these could share Philodendron stenolobum genetics with other species such as Philodendron speciosum or Philodendron williamsii. I am seeing more of these hybrids from Australia as well as Asia in recent times. If I could put in a plug for Meconostigma species, that is what I would like to see more of.

22. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

That Kriss dagger, could that be where they got the name for those Alocasia's with similar leaf shapes??

Ed

23. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

It's entirely possible.

24. asj2008

asj2008 Active Member

Yes...the aroid Alocasia sanderiana for example is called the kris plant...it is native to the Philippines...

Kris is spelled Keris in Malasia and Indonesia...

25. edleigh7

edleigh7 Well-Known Member

Ahhh thanks for the info : )

Ed