'Pink Lace' or 'Pink Filigree Lace'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by spookiejenkins, Apr 6, 2009.

1. spookiejenkins

spookiejenkins Active Member

I am confused about this one too... I bought a Buchholz tree and the tag says, 'PINK LACE'. I only hear about a mysterious 'Pink Filigree Lace' however. Are these the same?

2. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

'Pink Lace' has NO PINK and if the earliest leafing has pink I missed it and I look at my trees
    every day. It is a complete misnomer and another 'ho-hum' green dissectum.
    'Pink Filigree Lace' (I do not have) looks nice -Peter Gregory says it is a cross of 'Ornatum' &
    'Stella Rossa' and looks pink in his edition.
    To add to the confusion there is 'Filigree Rouge' which is a light green dissectum (not as nice as
    'Green Filigree' which I think is spectacular) but it does have just the faintest of light pink on the
    extreme edges of the Spring leaves. Much nicer than 'Pink Lace'
    I'll leave 'Masu kagami' so someone else.

3. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Sadly, my experience is the same.... Maybe with a few years some pink will show? I am finding that my very favorite maples are the venerable cultivars that might not be absolutely true to their older heritage, but consistent, close to Vertrees' descriptions, and with definite merit--not that newer ones can't compete, but I've found more than one nicely named disappointments. I've not seen or been able to find Pink Filigree Lace, but the descriptions are wonderful.

4. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I fully agree with Mike and jacquot, it is, as we say in Spanish 'una tomadura de pelo'. I have tons of dissectum seedlings which are far more attractive that this drab green dissectum, it will likely end up with the group to give away to visitors of the garden.

'Pink Filigree Lace' is just leafing out and it has no pink that I could see for the moment but I better wait for the leaves to fully open up, I will post a picture in a week or so since I see there is interest on this cultivar.

'Filigree Rouge' is a great cultivar with its own distinct personality, very elegant (see pic below). The 'Rouge' in the name probably comes from the Fall colors as shown in the second picture below.

Mike, why do you mention 'Masu kagami' in this 'dissectum' thread?, I have a Masukagami and it is not a dissectum as shown in the third pic.

Gomero

Attached Files:

5. katsura

katsura Active Member 10 Years

I agree with you, Augustin, about 'Filigree Rouge'.
    the reason I mentioned 'Masu kagami' in that thread was becuz katie (ie spookiejenkins) had put
    inquiries about 3 maples in 3 threads 2 days ago and I answered her for 2 of the threads telling
    her I wud pass on 'Masu kagami' (which she spelled 'Musa kagami' which I took for 'Masu kagami')
    and let someone else answer her on that one. I was not lumping it together with other dissectums.