UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Archives (no new threads) > Hibiscus

Post New ThreadReply

Old March 19th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

how/when to repot hibiscus

I have a beautiful hibiscus that I am very proud of. So far it has produced single and double red flowers and one branch is producing peach flowers. A third branch is giving verigated red/white flowers. Really cool! Everyday is a surprise! I desperately need to repot this plant, but I have more than 20 buds on it right now. A lot of the leaves are turning yellow and falling off, I think because I water too much. I believe the plant is rootbound. If I don't give the plant at least a glass of water a day the leaves get wilty and the buds fall off. I've tried misting on alternate days but that doesn't help much. How and when can I repot this plant? If I repot will I lose all my buds? If I don't repot I fear all the leaves will fall off. The current pot measures 9 1/2 " wide and 7" tall. The plant is 52" high. Any advise is truly appreciated!
Old March 19th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Plant Enthusiast (1000+ posts)

Re: how/when to repot hibiscus

Your hibiscus sounds really beautiful!

If it were mine, I'd wait on re-potting until it's done flowering. or you might lose ALL the buds. If it's wilting without getting that single glass of water each day, and it is severely pot-bound, I doubt it's being over-watered.

If you can lift the whole plant out of the pot a ways, you should be able to see the roots, if it's more roots then soil which wrap around and around inside the pot, drying out very quickly only a day, or two after watering, that would be considered severely root-bound.

You might not be watering it enough if it is really root-bound. Then you'll need to soak the soil with more then just a glass of water, making sure the entire root-ball gets wet. Submerging the entire pot until water flows in over the rim is another way if hydrating a very thirsty dry plant. Keep it under the water until the soil stops bubbling, replacing any soil that floats away after lifting it out.

When you do re-pot, only go up one pot size larger. You'll want an inch, or two, of root-ball room inside the new pot is all.
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:29 PM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

Re: how/when to repot hibiscus

the only reason I'm giving the plant only a glass of water a day is because I'm afraid all the leaves will yellow and fall off. I will give your suggestion a try - maybe it really is not getting enough hydration.
Post New ThreadReply