Best of the 09 Orchid Expo in Quito

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by lorax, Feb 24, 2009.

1. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I've finally got through labelling all of my photos from the 2009 International Orchid Expo that was held here in Quito at the beginning of the month. Here, then, is a smattering of the best orchids in the show, including some of the ones that won "best in show" for their categories - photos are labeled with the tag info that was findable for the orchids (as some companies were not good at labeling *cough cough* Ecuagenera Gualaceo I'm looking at you!). I am particularly fond of the Maxillaria group of orchids (which includes Lycaste, Acineta, and Maxillaria), but this show also really opened my eyes to the Masdevallias and other Pleurothallids.

Attached Files:

2. lorax

And here's some more!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  3. gallina

gallina Active Member

There was an orchid show in Toronto last weekend, and I admired the masdevallias, too!
    How demanding are these?

4. lorax

In my experience, not terribly. They like to be kept fairly moist and that is about it - they're cool growers.

5. lorax

And here's the rest. Folks, these 30-some pictures are my faves out of some 300+ that I took at the show.

Attached Files:

6. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

Nice orchids at that show. Considering how many orchids are endemic to Ecuador many of these species must be available from your local vendors. I just picked up a few pre-ordered from Ecuador myself. After Paphiopedilums, Masdevallia are my favorite orchids. I can fit a lot of them in a relatively small area.

Thanks for sharing
    Shaun

7. lorax

Many of them are; some are being bred by specific clubs - the best in show Masdevallia in particular is an interspecies hybrid. My problem is that the ones I like are micros (primarily Pleurothallids), many of which are prohibitively expensive....

8. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Just glorious, lorax! Thank you for sharing this beauty with us. Wow. Love those phragmipediums! Ooh, and the mustachioed masdevallias. Your subjects and your photographic technique are equally gorgeous. Wonderful!

9. et2007

et2007 Active Member

Thank you for the wonderful time lorax. I love picture #8, the flowers look like monkey face...