Ewwww Symphylans in my Hyacinth's - help!

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by JenRi, Feb 9, 2009.

1. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Hey guys, I have three hyacinths growing (?) in a pot and one of them is now almost fully blooming the other two....well they haven't got very far. One had a shoot that dried up and went brown so I assumed that was a bad bulb the other had a green shoot but it hasn't really grown in weeks, I thought this was a little odd that it was clearly alive but not growing so I lifted it out today to see how the roots were doing and to my disgust there were loads of what I thought were maggots all over the roots and in the soil. I did a quick google and found out that they're in fact probably Symphylans (joy of joys)

I think whats happened is when I potted these hyacinths up, I was at home in Nottingham so I didn't have my normal compost so just used some that was lying around outside, it was sealed so I assumed it'd be ok. Boy was I wrong!

The question is what should I do now? I don't know if the Symphylans have got to the flowering hyacinth yet and I'm a bit wary of changing the soil while its flowering as it might sulk...or just die outright. Also if they have do I throw the whole thing away...it'd be a shame when its so pretty:(

Finally I have a few other plants that I bought while I was home which I also potted up in the same soil as the hyacinths.....would it be worth changing the soil/treating them with an insecticide too as a precaution? Two of them look fine but one's leaves have been dying off steadily for a few weeks (Its a dracaena so so far I've just ignored this thinking it's natural) so I'm wondering if the Symphylans may have got to it as well.....:'-(

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  2. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

There are a few soil type application pesticides available but you'd have to check with your local garden centre for extact info as it might vary to what we have here.
    I'd try that first but to be sure a complete bare-rooting and re-pot would give you far better piece of mind. You might loose flowers or such by doing so but in the long run you are probably saving the plant :}
    I've had similar problems here where it's enjoy but watch it suffer or just start again and save what I can...

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Stand the whole pot in a bucket of water for a few hours. That should be long enough to drown the larvae, but not to drown the plant.

4. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Didin't even think of that - it works well for ants too :}

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

I employ this technique on occasion when bringing plants in for the winter. Chases out all manner of previously unseen creatures.

6. JenRi

JenRi Active Member

Chungii, thanks for the information, i did try that but the British government have banned the sale of soil pesticides/insecticides comercially to the public as I found out when I went hunting for one myself.

Brilliant idea Micheal, and so simple! I shall do that first thing tomorrow, I think I've already lost the flower but one of the other bulbs has a green shoot that never got anywhere but its not died yet so perhaps if I can drown the larvae that might grow and I might get another flower anyway:). So happy I can do something about it now, thanks so much:D.