UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Archives (no new threads) > Garden Pest Management and Identification

Garden Pest Management and Identification UBC Botanical Garden advocates the use of Integrated Pest Management.

Post New ThreadReply

Old January 29th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Generous Contributor (500-999 posts)

Re: Mint

Cut and swab,
I've had to do it removing Groundsel bushes as they are not affected by foliar spray. Use a 50/50 mix of herbicide (very strong but most effective).
If you are going to attempt it, have the prepared poison mix ready to paint onto stump and top end of vine, as soon as sap appears the wound has 'healed' and will need to be re-cut. Speed is essential to ensure a good coating before the sap covers the cut. Sap works the same as our blood here and will rinse any infections or unwanted material out of the wound. Likewise air can get caught up in the top end of the vine and the poison will not be taken up properly (This is why you should cut bottom of stem on cut flowers to help prolong their cut-life)
Old January 29th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Contributor (100-499 posts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz View Post
When the ivy takes off up our gumtrees (60+ft) the friends of the forest volunteers cut the climber near the base then work on it with poisons. Often if something can be applied as soon as th cut is made it will take it out both ways. I have seen them use a small chain saw to cut the vine that is how thick some of these things are. The growth up the trunk is usually left and nature over time removes it.

Liz
Hi Liz, that sounds like an excellent approach, as long as there is still enough "green" left on the bottom to absorb sufficient poison to kill the roots.
Old January 29th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Generous Contributor (500-999 posts)

No green needed with cut and swab technique literally painting high concentrate of herbicide onto stump. (I have also had to drill tree stumps that re-shoot and pour poison into holes, holes need to be drilled in the outer growing layer of the stump.)
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Plant Enthusiast (1000+ posts)

Yes that is the method (swab) I also do this with blackberries my curse. Cut about one foot high and paint. Then pull the brambles out.

WE have hit a 150 odd year record here re the heat. 43C+ for 3 days in a row. Mid thirties next week is going to feel cold by comparison.

Liz
Post New ThreadReply