Shield bug or Crusader Bug

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Chungii V, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Here I have been thinkining shield bugs are good :{ This is actually a Crusader bug or Mictis profana.
    From what I've been able to find out, I now know better. Contrary to most shield bugs though this one's not eating the foliage. It's tapped into the stem of the plant (Hardenbergia violacea 'Mini Ha Ha') which I didn't even notice until I put the pics onto my computer.
    Sorry they're not top quality pictures but I thought I'd post them for you to have a look at. (I'd imagine this one won't be feeling too well as my yard was given the 'Confidor' treatment the morning I took the photos)

Attached Files:

2. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Okay another add on to older thread..
    I thought it would help if I add some pics of the early instars of this bug for the sake of interest more than anything...
    I found these guys 'tip pruning' my Hardenbergia.

I should probably clarify too that shield bug is a bad usage of a common by me here and I truly should have left it as Crusader Bug. The reason for this is that shield bugs do chewing damage whereas these, being from a different family, actually do sucking damage. I thought I should point this out as they are sometimes referred to as shield bugs but are not really so.

Attached Files: