UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Archives (no new threads) > Woody Plants

Post New ThreadReply

Old November 24th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Registered Plus (3-99 posts)

Quercus Frainetto Acorns

I am searching for Quercus Frainetto) Hungarian Oak acorns. Does anyone know of a source. I have googled and searched high and wide to no avail. I have a grafted cultivar "Green Giant" that I ordered from Forest Farm 2 years ago, but I would prefer growing my own original. Thank you.
Old November 24th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Ardent Plant Enthusiast (10000+ posts)

Re: Quercus Frainetto Acorns

Not available all the time - and plants I've seen grown from a distribution made awhile back may be another species instead. The grafted cultivar you got from forestfarm is 'Schmidt', sold under the Forest Green registered trademark and is the true species. How it differs from the British cultivar 'Hungarian Crown' (or the 'Trump' cultivar from Holland) is not known.

http://www.jfschmidt.com/introductio...een/index.html

Only send for wild-collected seed, if you see it offered as that from gardens and arboreta is liable to be hybrid.
Post New ThreadReply