Blooming dogwood in September

Discussion in 'Cornus (dogwoods)' started by Unregistered, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Can any one tell me why a dogwood tree be blooming in September.

2. Pacific dogwood (Cornus nuttallii) often flowers in late summer/autumn. Other kinds of trees and shrubs, such as Rhododendron 'Yellow Hammer' are known to do this here (SW BC, NW USA) as well. The overwintering flower buds of such plants mature early enough that some are apparently "fooled" into opening prematurely during springlike conditions late in the year.

3. dogwood blooming in september

I live in N.C. where i have not seen this befor in my life or heard of it,has any one seen or heard of a white dogwood blooming in september,my friend has 2 in his front yard and is in deed blooming today it's 9-28-04.

4. I live on Vancouver Island and have found this site looking for a reason why only one of the 6 native dogwoods on our property is blooming for the second time this year. I thought it very strange. Some of the buds are only showing one or two petals, but there are a few full flowers, while the other trees are looking typical for this time of year. Reading your response to the other inquiry it does make sense, that perticular tree does get more sun that the others and had new buds earlier than I remember it having them before. Thanks for the info.