Rare Seed:

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by paullcv, Nov 21, 2008.

1. paullcv

paullcv Member

Very Rare Seed from Deep forest near Bhurma India border...

I'm sending all three faces/sides of the seeds for your better view..

If possible i request you to give me the botanical name or local name of the seed.

Right now i'm having a seed which was collected from the same area...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Strange-looking thing! Sorry, no idea what it is though.

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Rudraksha or relative (Elaeocarpus spp)? If it is, then that's not a typical seed, it's a mutation.

4. Kada

Kada Active Member 10 Years

looks more like a snake carving than a seed to me...???

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Ye gods! A fossilized alien brain! Mummified durian? Kada is right---it looks like a carving of a cobra in action. If it is a seed, be VERY careful with germination...! A "stumper", indeed.

6. Kada

Kada Active Member 10 Years

i think someone is pulling our legs ;)

7. togata57

Hmm. If our usual brain trust---Joclyn, Ron B, lorax, Michael, lila, luddite, Daniel, Eric et. al.---can't identify it, I think you're right.

8. lorax

I'm very flattered that you consider me part of the "brain trust!" I had a stab at it, but I'm really shaky on whether or not that's even close. I actually think you and Kada are a bit closer than I am....

9. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

It's not April 1st is it?

10. lorax

Nah, Nov/December. But it's pretty easy to forget that if you live somewhere that the climate doesn't vary all that much!

11. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Well with all the time differences it could be, somewhere in the world!?!?!?
    ;}

12. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

Its a coprolite. Don't put it in water.
    Carl

13. togata57

Or anything else. Ecch.

14. paullcv

paullcv Member

I don't know Y you don't believe... But even i thought it is a carving at first.. but there are no sharp edge touches... and never feel like a craved one..

It is also looking to start cracking....

you can magnify the image and see... whether there are any look of a craved NUT....

i'm having all kinds of rudrasha.. there are two seed which cannot be identify... this is one among those.....

15. pinenut

pinenut Active Member 10 Years

I'm sorry. I was being facetious. Please post another photo if and when the cracks progress.
    Carl

16. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Do you have more than 1 of these to post a photo of? Or an updated photo to show where the crack is progressing?

17. paullcv

paullcv Member

Here are some two pictures where you can see the cracks forming on the seed. Please check with the old pics and compare...

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/1488/img024ba7.jpg
    http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/1938/img025hk4.jpg

I was not able to check this forum lately and now could see many abuses from your end... but i can understand that it's not easy to digest a new finding...
    As i paid a very high amount for this seed.. I give much importance... Also i do collect many rare items.....

I already told you about the number of Rudrasha which i'm holding and the this seems to be much similar to Rudrasha in structure.....

Please do take it in professional way and i can also show you during anyones visit to India (Kerala) at any time.

18. paullcv

paullcv Member

19. Chungii V

Chungii V Active Member

Apologies for skepticism. Any chance of a photo of plant where seed was gathered? Photo of flower or leaf?

20. togata57

No offense intended. Thanks for the additional photos. More proof of the amazing and infinite variety of the plant kingdom!
    To echo Chungii's request: send us more background information, if you have any, and photos if you can. Should the seed be planted? Does the cracking indicate germination, or is it drying out? Wow---I'd love to see it sprout!
    You have a most unusual specimen: thank you for sharing it with us.

21. lorax

Cracking in seeds such as that normally indicates that it's germinating, however I've had Rudrakash seeds crack when they're drying as well.

Have we pursued the alley that they may be insect casings / chrysalids / something like that? Or conversely, that it's the pit of a fleshy fruit (like a peach, although those are obviously not peaches...)?

I'm intrigued....

22. togata57

lorax, d'you think that maybe the (putative) seed should be planted in a growing medium to encourage its (possible) growth? I envision this as a coconut kind of thing. Or will it just kinda shoot up on out of the shell regardless of where it is? I know that since the thing is as yet unidentified that any answer you'd give would be speculation---but your educated guess is worth a lot in my botanical book!

23. lorax

It may just send up its cotlydon independantly; some rainforest seeds are specifically adapted to do that (depending on the level within the forest that the plant is found.)

Who knows? Paullcv may have encountered seeds that don't normally leave a higher canopy level (ie epiphyte seeds, designed to sprout from that shell in the nook of a branch.) IE - the seeds of a strangler fig are not usually encountered on the floor of the forest. (Although those are definitely not strangler fig seeds either.) In which case what he's got may be the byproduct of the passage of an animal (or troop thereof) through the canopy that dislodged the seeds from their normal roost, or the falling of a large tree.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, that could well be a seed from an upper-canopy epiphyte. Those structures that we're seeing and likening to snake-heads could be hooks of some sort to anchor the seed in its correct medium.... (Or course, I'm speculating wildly, but it's not out of line with what I've seen in the rainforests here....)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  24. togata57

Fascinating! I want to know what this is. Could these photos be sent to a botany dep't. at a university in the area of origin? Someone's gotta know!

25. paullcv

paullcv Member

Yes, Please....

Did any one get any info on this... If some of your guesses are true.. It should be really great.... I equally excited as you do... You share all info you have on this...