Identification: New York City backyard mushrooms

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by NYCujo79, Oct 26, 2008.

1. NYCujo79

NYCujo79 Member

Hi all,

At the same times every year (early fall, early spring) a bunch of mushroom clusters grow in nearly identical spots. They are pulled from the ground very easily and intact. Was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what they are.

Color: Beige/Brown
    Cluster: 4+
    Size: Varies - medium to large
    Region: North-East US
    Time: Early Spring/Fall

Attached Files:

2. Stilbella

Stilbella Active Member

It looks like you have a species of cortinarius. They are notoriously difficult to identify, because there are at least 2000 species throughout the world, many of which look identical. Your second photo shows a cobwebby veil covering the gills from the edge of the cap to the stem. This cobwebby structure is called the cortina, hence the name of the genus.

Cortinarius are characterized by their cortinas and by their cinnamon coloured spores. Many of them have unique odours, such as old potato (C.Camphoratus) or pears (C. Traganus). With a few exceptions, they are poisonous, containing orellanine, which attacks the kidneys.

3. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

the definately resemble some of the cortinarius that i've found? have u gotten a spore print yet? if it's a rusty brown color...definately!

4. NYCujo79

NYCujo79 Member

Thank you for the responses.

It's pouring buckets outside right now so a spore print will have to wait for another day :)

I'll definately do it and reply back.

I'm just not quite sure how it's gotten there. They only appeared around 5 years ago and I've been living in the same house/yard for nearly 30 years.

No new trees have been planted and there are only 3 trees in that area. (Magnolia, Dogwood, Mulberry).

5. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Although I've found that most cort's prefer the woods and trees....some are known to grow just along walking paths as well. They're found usually under hardwoods but also under conifers. The spore print is the real identifier for u...so even if u just get one? Take a print from it's cap...put it on a piece of paper (white or black if it's cort. it'll show on either). On the next day (or within hours even!) you should get a great color print of the gills. There's no telling when mushrooms are going to decide to start popping up. I myself feel blessed when I find them in my yard..but then? I'm a mushroom lover in all sence of the word. :o)

6. Stilbella

Stilbella Active Member

We have had amanita phalloides popping up in the Vancouver area for the first time recently; one theory is that the mycellium may have been imported with nursery trees from Europe and the USA, and over the decades it has finally grown to a point where it is fruiting.

Mushrooms fruit when they like the conditions; we had phlogiotis helvelloides in our yard last year for the first time ever, and it returned this year. On the other hand, the stropharia aerugenosa that we usually see every fall hasn't shown up at all. So it's a bit of a crap shoot. The mycellium is still there, lying in wait till it likes the conditions once again. Who knows, that could be in fifteen years.

Enjoy your corts!