Identification: Mysterious Bolete? - crinkled cap

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by LisaPeszel, Oct 25, 2008.

1. LisaPeszel

LisaPeszel Member

Hi, I'm a beginner, but fascinated with what I'm finding in Pacific Spirit Park, Vancouver, BC, Canada. This was about 6 inches tall, standing alone in the open, with only other boletes in the vicinity (a few feet away). Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks. Photo taken mid-October.

Attached Files:

2. BLB

BLB Member

Based on the appearance of the stem and the cap, it could be Boletus zelleri--Zeller's bolete. It's common around here and I just found a bunch in Pacific Spirit park (a few minutes before I noticed the signs saying that mushroom picking is prohibited in the park. Boo! What's up with that?). They're edible--mine are going in soup with some other boletes I found in Whistler, and some chanterelles. They get slimy when cooked so they're best pureed. Of course, don't EVER eat a mushroom unless you're CERTAIN of what it is! Boletus zelleri will often bruise bluish, and its stem will also blue when cut or crushed. Spore prints will show olive-ish spores.

There are color photos of it in both Mushrooms Demystified and All That The Rain Promises, and More... which are both by David Arora and are awesome mushroom ID guides. ATTRPM is a pocket guide, and MD is enormous.

Try googling Boletus zelleri and see if it looks right. Here's one site with images that look similar to yours.

3. LisaPeszel

LisaPeszel Member

Thank you so much for responding, I will check this out!