UBC Botanical Garden Forums  

» UBC Botanical Garden

Go Back   UBC Botanical Garden Forums > Plants: Identification

Post New ThreadReply

Old October 13th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Registered (1-2 posts)

Tree top vine

So glad I found this site! I've been intrigued by a creeping vine that started earlier in the summer looking like a pumpkin/ squash vine. The leaves are large, the larger ones about 1 ft across, culminating in a point about a foot tall, multiple lighter areas along the spines of the leaf and has a light fuzz. The vine has tendrils that cling to anything and has almost overtaken my garden, covers some of my other plants, and has climbed to the top of three trees. It bears nothing, but looks pretty nevertheless. Any ideas????
thanks
Old October 13th, 2008, 07:06 PM
(formerly known as glass brain)

Re: Tree top vine

" looking like a pumpkin/ squash vine"...maybe that's what it is! They do do that. Sometimes mine climb 8 feet up into my hedge & lay their squashes up there. Picture would help...there are lots of vines.

gb
Old October 20th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Registered (1-2 posts)

You are soooo correct!! Thank you for your prompt response. Over the weekend I noticed about three flowers, on my hedge no less, and believe that it just might be a pumpkin vine. Only thing is, the frost is coming and the vine might die. My camera isn't working or I would have sent a picture. Will it come back next year?
Old October 20th, 2008, 08:56 PM
(formerly known as glass brain)

In NY the vine, if it is a squash/pumpkin WILL die. Plant seeds/seedlings next year. Many, many fascinating & bizarre varieties of squash. My fevourite ever since I was in New England in '69/'70 has been the Blue Hubbard - love the colour & the taste. Birds & rodents scatter seeds & surprise squash popup here & there - to my delight. Please don't just grow Pumpkins, Acorn, Spaghetti Squash & Ornamental (inedible) gourds...look up Hudson Seeds & grow some show-stoppers.

gb
Old October 22nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
Generous Contributor (100+ posts)

You may need to get a head start by germinating those seeds indoors as you will need about 3-4 months to get them to maturity and bear fruits. I usually sow the seeds indoors 2-3 weeks before the last frost - in our garden, I sow sometime towards the end of March.
Old October 26th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Generous Contributor (500-999 posts)

CrissyB
My Sister lived in a highrise apt house and had a garden on her balcony. She planted a squash of some sort and trained it along the railing. Problem was the vine was too weak to fully support the growing fruit. She went to a thrift store, bought several large cup bra's, tied the bra's to the rail and tucked the fruit into the cups. Worked quite well. Just proves you can garden just about anywhere if you really want to.
Barb.
Post New ThreadReply