Identification: Irpex lacteus???

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by C.Wick, Sep 25, 2008.

1. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

As much as I'd like to believe this is Bear's Head Tooth? It was found, however, in NE Kansas...so I guess that isn't the fellow I'd like it to be. Any ideas here? The teeth were pure and beautiful...some areas being at least an inch deep...growing downward and outward. I've not broken any off for spore prints...don't want to cause it damage as I think it's still growing? We got a good rain shower the morning I found this....it was not there the day before. I checked on it again today and it seemed larger but we're expected to get dryer/warmer weather the rest of this week.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  2. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

Re: Toothed Fellow Migrating Downward...

I went back today....and found that it is 'dripping' off of some elm branches directly below the main body? However since the actual branches are just thin twigs they look just like teeth instead of a whole body of fungi.

Attached Files:

3. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Looks a little like the Hericium I had for dinner last night, but if so, it's either deformed or just starting to grow. Hericium americanum ?

4. C.Wick

C.Wick Active Member

I honestly believe from the length of the 'spines' that's what it could be? However, I'd taken another mushroom expert and she'd suggested it to be a longer-toothed version of a Spongy Toothed polypore? The remains (dried and crumbly now) are still on the large branch...running almost 4 feet in large patches. Had a white spore print also.

5. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Kinda weird it being on a branch. These, if that's what it is are usually on the trunk and not too far from the ground.

Nature ALWAYS does everything the same way...but sometimes it doesn't.

Thanks for sharing.