Cleaning Gardening Tools

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by lily, Sep 23, 2008.

1. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

I've been reading a lot of information on the necessity of cleaning your garden tools, pruners etc. Cleaning them will help prevention of spreading disease and fungus from plant to plant. Do you clean them every single time you use them? or just before working on a different plant? I'd like to know what some of you would recommend for cleaning please? Thanks again for all your help.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Lysol between plants when pruning kinds like roses or cherries that may have contagious viruses or bacteria. If cutting visibly infested growths out of an otherwise clean-looking plant would also not want to spread it to other parts of the same specimen.

3. lily

Thanks Ron, I never thought of Lysol Spray. Thanks also for reminding me to spray my pruners, after using it to cut out an infested part of a plant where the rest of it is healthy. Good, I will remember that!

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Cleaning---and lubricating---implements is important with house plants, too.

5. lily

Thanks T0gata, I appreciate your thoughts. What do you use to clean your gardening tools?

6. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Like Ron B, I use Lysol spray on my clippers. Fast, easy, and effective. With orchids in close proximity to one another, the LAST thing I want to do is spread any possible fungus or virus!!! ---I have used rubbing alcohol when I've been out of Lysol. ---After cleaning I sometimes apply a thin coating of petroleum jelly, especially when I'm going to let tools sit for a while.

7. lily

Thank you Togata, This is very helpful information for me. Okay, off to the grocery store for Lysol and petroleum jelly.

8. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I use Lysol and an aerosol oil product called, Moovit. clean the major gunk off manually, spritz with Lysol, wait a minute or two, spritz with the oil and go to work.

9. lily

This is interesting to learn what everyone uses. So far, it seems that Lysol is the recommended choice.
    Thank you jimmyq!

10. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I use mentholated spirits (menthol-denatured ethanol) to clean my tools, and 3-in-1 or WD-40 as a lubricant, and I clean between each plant. If I'm trimming anything from the Euphorbiaceae, I use dilute hydrogen peroxide to cause the sap to gum up faster so I can just roll little gooey balls of it off the blade, then the spirits to disinfect. It's particularly important to oil your tools before you put them away, if you live in a humid climate like I do.

Then again, I'm also a garden-tool nut and I have different shears for different parts of the garden. That way, I know that I'm not even close to trimming my orchids with the banana pruners, and so on.

11. lily

Thank you for sharing your gardening tips Lorax. Good information about the hydrogen peroxide too.