Identification: Please help me identify!

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by goldlox, Sep 21, 2008.

1. goldlox

goldlox Member

I have been visiting the east coast (Originally from Utah) and have seen many different types of fungus that I have been able to identify. About three days ago (outside of my hotel room none the less) I spotted some purple/pink caps growing through the landscaping bark. I removed two of them by prying them up with a piece of bark (pretty scientific!). nothing unusual, no stems just caps. Two days later, there were "tubes" growing from where the stems would have been. If there were stems to begin with. the "tubes" were very much like a foam insulating tube, but white. There was also what looked like construction caulking holing them on. But it was organic and growing from the over turned caps. the weirdest part was a stench coming from them that almost made me vomit! It also gave me an instantaneous headache. I then held my breath long enough to take some pictures. These were taken in Beckley, West Virginia.

Attached Files:

2. RPBnimrod

RPBnimrod Active Member

stinkhorn species