Identification: Several unknowns at new house

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by homebody268, Sep 18, 2008.

1. homebody268

homebody268 Member

Hello all. My sister just bought a new property in Pennsylvania and her woods were overflowing with mushrooms. I took a couple pictures so we could identify them (don't worry we had no intention of eating any, we are just generally curious about everything). I think I know what a few are, but from reading about mushrooms there is a good chance I am wrong. Anyway, if any mushroom experts could help, we would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

#1-2 is Monotropa uniflora, a non-photosynthetic flowering plant. Quite rare and very nice to have.

3. homebody268

homebody268 Member

I thought so, but I wasn't sure because I read they are mainly white because they don't use photosynthesis for their energy. Through further reading I found the black coloring to be signs of decay or bruising. I have been fascinated by it since we found it. The other one that interests me is the red one. Could it be ganoderma lucidum?

4. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Photo #6 and 7 look like Ganoderma oregonense or Ganoderma tsugae, which is what these would be if I found them in my area: The thing to find out is which Ganodermas are known to grow in your region.

Photo #3 looks like an Amanita, because of the veil remnants on the cap and the volva encased base. It's very young so seeing an older version would be helpful, but I expect the yellow stem is a strong character towards identification.

Photo #4 fooled me, until I saw the closeup and saw the gills, I was expecting it to be a Suillus - Slippery Jack. Stumped on that one so far.

Beautiful variety of critters you have there!

5. homebody268

homebody268 Member

THanks for all the information so far. I wanted to add that she resides in eastern Pennsylvania and it was the beginning of August that the photos were taken if that helps any.

6. fish dr

fish dr Active Member

Great new house. I'm jealous.

7. Stilbella

Stilbella Active Member

Hey Frog, what do you think of #4 being a gilled bolete, or Phyllophorus rhodoxanthus? We found one in Whistler, if I recall correctly.

I have been reading about amanitas lately, and that yellow one *might* be Amanita flavoconia. It grows in Eastern N. America, near conifers and in oak and birch woods, and has a white or yellow stipe and an orange to yellow cap, smaller than a. muscaria and with more fragile warts. Looks a lot like your button, there. And the other yellow ones in the last photo could be older versions of the same species, from what I have found.

Of course, being in the west, I have never seen one in person. But the description and photos I have found fit.