What tree in the garden - bunches of small white fuzzy things

Discussion in 'Talk about UBC Botanical Garden' started by wcutler, Sep 12, 2008.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

This tree is at the intersection of Main and Henry (those are path names) at the UBCBG. I couldn't find a sign and I swear I've looked at every posting in the garden forums and can't find it. Maybe it's so common that no-one would bother posting it. The white fuzzy fruits were pretty nifty.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

No, not too common. It's a Pterostyrax, but I can't recall which one. That area is slated for inventory / relabelling, but, as you may know, things have been delayed a bit.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Leaves and habit like those of P. hispidus. In addition I believe this specimen used to be marked as such.

4. wcutler

Sorry, yes it is marked as Pterostyrax hispida. I had a friend with me on Wednesday who found the sign and then I even found another one. Two signs should really be enough.

Attached Files:

5. Chooch

Chooch Active Member 10 Years

SW Ontario 65 miles west of London / 33 miles sout
    Just curious if the UBC also has the much smaller Pterostyrax corymbosa in the plant collection ? Any comment on this statement ?

6. Ron B

I believe I have seen it there in the past. As for it being a much smaller species, the tallest wild P. hispida have been reported 56' high. A P. corymbosa at the Seattle arboretum was 70' tall a few years ago.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, a 1985 accession.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2012
  8. Chooch

Chooch Active Member 10 Years

SW Ontario 65 miles west of London / 33 miles sout
    Thanks for the awareness , Daniel . I have a 7' ht. x 7' w. Pterostyrax corymbosa in my front yard and I love that small tree when it flowers in Springtime !!! I doubt / hope it will ever reach 70' in my lifetime but thanks for the input because I have noticed much variability with the pterostyrax growth habits . Happy Growing !!

9. wcutler

Here are the fruits on this what now seems to be called Pterostyrax hispidus (not hispida). Which means it's now considered a male tree? So these aren't fruits? It's definitely the same tree as was photographed originally.
    20120725_UBCBG_PterostyraxHispidus_Cutler_P1280466.jpg 20120725_UBCBG_PterostyraxHispidus_Cutler_P1280466c.JPG 20120725_UBCBG_PterostyraxHispidus_Cutler_P1280468.jpg

[Edited]While I'm at it, I may as well add a better flower photo, from June 27, 2012.
    20120627_UBCBG_PterostyraxHispidus_Cutler_P1250861.jpg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  10. Ron B

I think these produce perfect flowers, entire species would not usually be one gender anyway so that wouldn't be indicated in the styling of the species name - the only gender indication being done with species names that comes immediately to mind is when a person is being commemorated by the name. Fargesia murielae, for instance.

11. wcutler

We found the Pterostyrax corymbosus today. The fruits look quite different from those of the P. hispidus - not small white fuzzy things at all.

12. wcutler

Re: What tree in the garden - bunches of small white fuzzy things - Pterostyrax

Got another one! Pterostyrax psilophyllus, with fruits that look more like the P. hispidus. I think we must have seen this off the Handel-Mazzetti trail, west of the Meyer Glade.