Seed collecting in my garden - unknown

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by 2Regina, Aug 27, 2008.

1. 2Regina

2Regina Member

Thanks all for the input on Polkweed. I knew this site was a good one. Well, now that fall is nearing, I am going about my gardens and collecting seed for next year. Here is a picture of Columbine flower? Not really sure and hope someone can verify.

I've been taking seeds and putting them in old, empty medicine bottles w/o the lids. Just putting cotten on top of opening so seeds don't go bad. Naturally, I have been labeling them. I was wondering how everyone else stores their seeds they collect.

Attached Files:

2. abgardeneer

abgardeneer Active Member

Re: another unknown needs a name

It's Malva sylvestris, not columbine.

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(moved to its own thread)

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

most seeds will need to be stored in air-tight containers. you need to harvest and then let them sit out to make sure they are thoroughly dry and then store in containers (with the lids) in a dark place that has a consistant temp.

there are a few that need to be stored in a manner that leaves some air circulation and paper envelopes are fine for them...still keep in dark, consistant temp spot though.

that flower IS malva and you can store them (once sure they are dry) in the pill bottles with the lids on. the little rings are groups of seeds - you can break them apart or not before planting.

5. 2Regina

2Regina Member

Thanks for the info. Sure do appreciate it.

Regina

6. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

you're welcome - glad to help!!

are you in pa?

7. 2Regina

2Regina Member

No. I'm on Long Island.

8. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Hi 2Regina,
    I have been quite successful growing seeds that I collect from my plants in the fall. I put them on a plate or foil pie tin in the house out of direct sunlight until I am sure they are dry. I then place them in ordinary envelops and label and seal.
    I have thought about the pill bottles to and may try some in those as well this year. (They seem like they should be useful for something. I would want to make sure they were washed thoroughly inside though, as the medication residue might be harmful to the seeds.)
    Best wishes

9. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Hi I just thought I should mention some of the seeds that have grown successfully for me with not other steps taken......hollyhocks, lupins, foxglove, delphiniums,rudebeckia, as well as others
    cheers
    Micki